daxigirl

New to Bees

Just joined the local Bee Keeping Club, don't have any plan for them this year thought it would be good to see how it all works and get an idea of all the different equipment before deciding what I should get. Got myself a pair of gloves and the jacket/bonnet combo in the Omlet sale.

Welcome to the wonderful world of beekeeping! you're doing exactly the right thing in my view, I've seen too many people rush into getting bees and then discover that it's more work than they thought or they don't really have the time. Hang around your local group, if it's an active one then you should get plenty of chances to get hands-on in the summer, and you'll get a really good start in it before you invest further.

I know that some groups are more helpful than others, but if you can, find a member near you who could be a sort of mentor because when you get your first colony it's great to have someone you can phone up if you're worried about something .

I agree with Olly.

Most local groups will be running their taster days or courses in the spring. Get onto one of those.

Find an association with a training apiary so you can handle bees on a regular basis; weekly is ideal, any less frequently and you don't get into the rhythm of a colony.

I full Summer colony of 35K + bees can be intimidating for a beginner and put them off forever so easing yourself in is the best way.

After that you can order yourself bees for next year and mull over what hive format to go for. The standard Modified Wooden National is not always the best choice.

It's an addictive/expensive hobby.....be warned :)

PS....I see you are perilously close to Thornes in Stockbridge...... maybe you might get those bees earlier than you think.

Roll on Spring. We are all waiting for our bees to "wake up"

They were a lovely group to join. I've missed the course they run this year as it was full but that's fine by me. They've got guest speakers and then meetings out at farms and various members hive, shows, 1 man has 40 odd! He was already trying to get me to put my name down on his swarm list.

I thought it best to see if I could pick up a frame with bees on without squealing and running a mile.

Been reading the bee keeping books for a couple of years now. So thought it was time to pull my finger out.

There was a man from ZEST telling us about his hive structures. It can't be any worse than my chicken addiction. :lol: Just going to check out what Thornes is.

One of our members sells equipment, and he will not sell a hive to someone unless they have actually handled bees - he will take them through one of his own hives if necessary. There are a lot of people who like the idea of keeping bees until they actually see a colony of 30,000 or so being opened.

I'm glad you have got a friendly group with a lot of activities, it makes a big difference. I don't think there's an equivalent 'morebees disease' as most of us are limited by time and space to a few colonies, but the amount you can spend on equipment can easily outstrip chicken expenditure!

They were a lovely group to join. I've missed the course they run this year as it was full but that's fine by me. They've got guest speakers and then meetings out at farms and various members hive, shows, 1 man has 40 odd! He was already trying to get me to put my name down on his swarm list.

I thought it best to see if I could pick up a frame with bees on without squealing and running a mile.

Been reading the bee keeping books for a couple of years now. So thought it was time to pull my finger out.

There was a man from ZEST telling us about his hive structures. It can't be any worse than my chicken addiction. :lol: Just going to check out what Thornes is.

I don't know if Mike Palmer is talking at your association (he's come over from Vermont and is doing a few talks down your way) but if he is..... he is a revelation: wonderful to see what can be done even at hobby level SO TRY TO GET TO SEE HIM

What did you think of the Zest hive?

There are a lot of extravagant claims made for it. I always think putting stuff like this up is trying to re-invent the wheel.

I actually liked the idea and could see what he was saying about the zest. It would also save my dilemma of where a hive could go in the garden. As its quite big and looks like a structure I was thinking of the front garden behind the hedge (@30ft deep with a telegraph pole and electric box on that bit of pavement the other side so no one would ever get that close on the public side). I think it would also be good to see just how it did work.

My advice would be to get to grips with bees in a common format before exploring the unusual.

Also, putting a beehive anywhere near the public is fraught with problems. How are you going to move it if people start getting stung?What about visitors to your front door? When they swarm and you miss it is there a likelihood of the swarm ending up the public side of your hedge or even on the telegraph pole.

It may be that your house is in splendid isolation, so perhaps I presume too much in which case I'm sorry.

Let us know how you get on?

I found it helpful to get 'adopted' by one of the associations master bee keepers.......and I spent many an afternoon as his assistant and learnt an awful lot (and seen things that can go wrong........my catch phrase became ' mmmmm Barrie there's something not quite right here' then he would saunter over. Then under supervision I would have to work out what was going on)