loumabel

Previcox? Anyone had experience of it?

My Labrador Ben has been taking Metacam for several years now for joint problems but it just wasn't doing the job anymore and he has been in pain, panting, moaning and lame. My vet has prescribed Previcox as an alternative and he does seem a lot better but I have been reading some horror stories online about shocking side effects of this drug.

I do try not to get too worried about online reviews but would love to hear from anyone who has any experience of Previcox at all.

I want to do the best for my boy and don't want to hurt him.

Hi Loumabel my previous lab was started on this but couldn't tolerate it. It made him dreadfully sick,he couldn't take Metacam either. His arthritis was managed with Tramadol and a magnetic collar. I try not to look at the side effects I think if your dog needs it and it will improve his quality of life for another length of time you just have to go for it.I sadly have all this ahead with George.Did they ever suggest surgery?

Hi Grandmashazzie, he has had one hip replacement which sadly resulted in a rare side effect of breaking his femur a few months later due to stress fracture and this was fixed with a load of metal work in his leg. He has also just recovering from Anal gland cancer surgery and chemotherapy so I really would not put him through any more surgeries. He is 12 so I know he can't go on forever but I guess if the Previcox keeps him comfortable for however long it's a bonus. It is so difficult to know what to do for the best. Labs are lovely but they do give us heartache don't they!