penelope

Has Molly turned into a boy or a bossy girl?

Hi all

I raised a new batch of babies last September. I had what I thought was 4 boys and 2 girls. The boys went back to the farm that I got the eggs from and the girls have been meeting my big girls in the day via tunnels linking their greenhouse to the walk in run.

They have been getting chased less and less so last night the spent the night in the run.

Molly has suddenly been attacking my little bantam( who up until yesterday would peck her a little). She or he is chasing her until she or he can grab the bantam by the scruff.

I've separated them again for fear that the bantam will get injured.

All of the boys crowed from 7-10 weeks. Had pronounced feathers at their necks and very red combs. I thought Molly's comb was red because she is getting thoughts of laying. She dosnt crow. Never stood up tall with the boys with neck feathers up.

Could she just be a bossy girl all of a sudden or a late developer who dosnt crow?.

I can't keep her if she is going to be that aggressive,it's not like the normal squabbles.

P.s can't remember how to add a photo! :wall:

it could just be she doesn't want to be low down in the pecking order plus a little bit of pay back if she was getting picked on when younger I've got one or two girls ( about 21 weeks old )that when I put them into their new group went in and 'thumped' the higher ranking girls one took over as top girl in less than 2 days the other started as number 3 before she became top girls with in a month both had been raised with boys and were added to their groups with a boy

I had a boy that was a year old before he crowed but I knew he was a boy but I've also had a pair that I 'mixed' the girl had more head gear than the boy luckerly he crowed the morning after I moved him

the aggression should settle down once she's accepted in the pecking order or when she lays which ever comes first trouble is girls take longer than boys to accept their either equally matched or ones stronger than the other