JM

Bald and dirty bums

Hi All

My eldest girl (Agnes - who is 6 ish) has lost feathers below her vent, and those that are left are very mucky. I have washed her, but within a few days, they are mucky again.

One thing I have noticed as well - Agnes has never laid an egg in her life, and has always been skittish, but recently when I've gone to catch her to wash her, she squats down as if she's in lay! She's never done that before!

Also - one of my other chooks (Florence) - went into moult just before they were let out after the lock down (Feb time?) - her bottom just below the vent is still bald, even though you can see the feathers coming through. She's a bit dirty too, but not as much as Agnes.

All 3 chooks were wormed in February and are quite happy and normal in her behaviour.

(I've got photos but not sure how to post them).

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Jill

I've just worked out how to post photos...

Agnes:

IMG_3314.jpgIMG_3308.jpgIMG_3309.jpg

Florence:

IMG_3307.jpg

And to show they are all perky and happy:

IMG_3315.jpg

Their poos are fine as well!

Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks

Jill :?:

Firstly you need to wash their bottoms again as fly strike is a real possibility Jill and you wouldn't want to deal with that! Bottoms that dirty are often indicative of a worm burden, so when were they last wormed with Flubenvet? You will find that very dirty feathers stick together, catch poo and they are then pulled out. Sometimes the lowest in the pecking order will have her feathers pulled out, but that's not likely given the poo on them. Have they a perch in the coop or are they sitting in their poo at night?

Thanks for the quick reply Beantree

I have been washing her regularly - just didn't have time over the weekend, so will do that this afternoon! They were last wormed with Flubenvet at the beginning of Feb - so are due again - I'll do that this afternoon too.

They do sleep in the nest box of the cube - but always have with no problems...

Thanks again

Jill

Could be they have developed bad digestive bacteria Jill. This can happen if any treats contain natural sugars as found in fruit. I would recommend a dose of Avipro Avian, or even better (but expensive) Beryl's tonic. This will restore their gut flora to the correct type(s). Takes about a week to see any effect and will be complete in two weeks.

Try to get them out of the habit of nesting in the box. We use a large plant pot.

Thanks again - sorry I've not replied earlier! They're all washed and clean and in the middle of being wormed. The feathers are growing back too.

Interesting that you mention the bacteria - while they were incarcerated, I was giving them treats of vegetables and apples, which they only get occasionally normally. So maybe you're on to something! I'll get some Beryl's tonic & try once the worming period is over (i.e. next week).

Meanwhile, they are perky and normal - so that's good!

J