Adamski

Newly hatched ducklings with chickens

My mum keeps two chickens and two Indian runner ducks. The ducks have been incubating ten eggs which are now hatching, just as my mum has gone on holiday for a week! The chickens and ducks have always shared a coop without any issues but I’m worried it may not be safe for the new ducklings to keep them housed together until they’re older. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

If the chickens aren't broody I would definitely separate the ducklings as they could get nasty and kill them.

Ideally you will just have one broody duck with her offspring which you can separate for a few weeks until the ducks are off heat.

Thanks for the advice. I know one of the chickens has been sitting on the nest whenever the mother goes out to feed as she always leaves one or two of her own eggs in the nest, not sure about the other chicken though. Would you recommend keeping the Drake away from them too?