Has anyone ever seen a rat climbing the run to the larger gaps at the top to enter? Or does anyone think a rat could actually do it? They’re pretty clever!

we’re in the process of protecting our run from rat invasion with a cement ring, and I am wondering if we should also double the top of the run cage with rodent wire.

Hi they get in the lower smaller gaps too of my Omlet run...the biggest fattest rat I have ever seen (who had been dining out on our feed for a while) squeezed through the bottom section so quickly! 

Wouldnt have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes! It then proceeded to bounce its fat bottom up my garden....like a bunny! 

On 5/9/2022 at 9:01 PM, Noemie Hamilton said:

Has anyone ever seen a rat climbing the run to the larger gaps at the top to enter? Or does anyone think a rat could actually do it? They’re pretty clever!

Yes.

I have sat in the run and watched both big and small rats go up the mesh to get through the big gaps, and as MamaCoop says have also seen them get through the small, lower mesh.

I have now covered ALL the Omlet run with finer weldmesh. It worked.