red

Moles

Any Ideas? :?:?

Those who listen to Radio 4 or browse the Hansard debates will know that this is a big problem this year. Our garden has been completely destroyed :evil: . I don't want to resort to unkind methods and have been wondering about one of those sonic jobs. We don't have a huge garden - it's a reasonable size but nothing massive - so I was thinking that it might work (even if it only drives them next door :wink: ).

I wonder how this would affect the hens though?? Do you think they'd be bothered by it?

:?: Any one had any success with moving moles on?

Hello Red,

My parents had a bit of a prob with moles last summer. The moles were making holes etc. My parents were advised to get one of those thingies that makes a sound that only a mole can hear. Seems to have worked, no more Mr or Mrs mole. :) I can't be more precise about it, but can ask them if you are interested.

THanks for responding Caroline - yes I was thinking I'd try one of those before I even starting to think about any methods involving death but I was wondering if it might upset the hens at all (are they sensitive to that sort of thing???)

Does anyone know how long they take to drive them away?

(My lawn still looks nice and green but anyone would think it had been laid over an old mine shaft! You take your life in your hands walking over it at the moment!)

wondering about one of those sonic jobs.

I wonder how this would affect the hens though?? Do you think they'd be bothered by it?

I don't know much about moles but my son uses sonic mouse deterrants and says they work. I have a fox watch which I beleive has kept the fox away. My chooks are not bothered by it and will sit right next to it.

There is something called a 'mole plant' that you can plant in the garden that deters moles! It is called Euphorbia lathyris.

I am pretty sure that it is poisonous to humans and therefore chickens too - so not the ideal solution unless you could grow it where the chickens cannot get.

Jim

My ,late,Grandfather used to put the plastic windmills on sticks ( that you buy for children ) into the mole hills.It seemed to work.I guess the stick vibrating in the wind scared Mr.Mole off :? ?It looked abit bizarre,but my children loved it :D !

(green eglu) Kim

GNR Mrs.Frisby

(white chicken) Marjory