Eyren

Got our pekins! (was "Naming new chickens")

Yes, the lawn is a bit "tired" after the last 18 months' punishment - hot dry summer in 06, soaking wet one in 07, chickens eating/scratching it and me trampling it in wellies!

This spring I'm going to give it a good rake to remove all the c**p, aerate it, sow some grass seed and keep the bantams off it for a while. Even if the treatment doesn't entirely work, it won't cost much and at least the girls will get some fresh grass :)

We got a company called Green Thumb to come and treat out lawn.

They don't promise miracle, but there is a definite improvement after 2 treatments. (They cam last week and aeriated (sp?) it).

Costs surprisingly little too.

They come once a quarter.

Our lawn's too small to be worth having someone in - there's not much left now that we have a permanent eglu base and two raised beds (with their surrounding paths) taking up nearly half the garden! I think aeration will do it some good, though - last year's wet weather must have compacted the soil a lot, and it's a typical modern housing development garden, with barely six inches of soil in places, on top of rubble and Lord knows what else... :roll: