Eyren

Got our pekins! (was "Naming new chickens")

I'm hoping to get a couple of pekins soon, so I need more ideas for names. Since they're rather posh little ladies, I was racking my brains this morning for something suitable, but got led off on a different track entirely...

A naming theme for ex-batts - suffragettes and other female freedom fighters :D

* Sylvia (Pankhurst)

* Cristabel (")

* Emmeline (Pankhurst, Pethick)

* Grace (Kimmins)

* Rosa (Parks, or Rosa May Billinghurst)

I'm not planning to get any ex-batts myself, so feel free to use these, or suggest others!

P.S. Still no inspiration on the pekin front - any ideas?

Edited by Guest

Great names! My pekins aren't posh though, they're rather cheeky little madams! Specially when they run, it's the funniest thing ever. Mine are Bob and Penny (x2, it's impossible to tell them apart), and we had another called Judy who reminded me of my Great Aunty Judy.

How about Scarlett and Ava?

I'm (reluctantly) leaving the naming to my DDs but the ones they're coming up with seem very popular chook names, goodness knows how they know, because we've never even known any chooks before. Two mentioned this morning were Hatty and Biscuit which I'm sure I've seen mentioned on here. :o

Went off to buy another Pekin today(already have one buff DORIS plus a bantam buff orpington HENRIETTA and a bantam wyandotte LAVINIA ) Have come home with TWO eight week old Pekins,breeder wouldnt let us take one. Have named them LILY,lavender and MAGGIE partridge.We seem to be sticking to old ladies names(RIP CLAUDIA and PRISCILLA)

We now have the newbies living in the conservatory having been given strict instructions not to let them into Eglu for at least a month as it will be too cold!! So we have a while before we have to worry about the introduction to each other dramas.

THe Wendy house in the garden was approved for their temporary home but OH thinks too cold there too so has turned on the radiator in the conservatory for them....it is like having a new baby in the house.

Somehow I can't envisage my teenage son being enthused about naming chickens! :)

My teenage son chose the names Artemis Fowl, Dixie Chick, Attilla the Hen and Peckadilly They were "nearly new" and were called Thelma and Louise and Sam and Ella previously, which I didn't much care for, and in any case we wanted to put our own stamp on them.

I was quite surprised, as he isn't usually terribly interested in the hens. :lol:

Have come home with TWO eight week old Pekins,breeder wouldnt let us take one.

Very sensible - introducing a single chicken to a resident flock is just asking for trouble! And since they have to be isolated at first, one would get lonely. Where did you get them from?

Have named them LILY,lavender and MAGGIE partridge.We seem to be sticking to old ladies names(RIP CLAUDIA and PRISCILLA)

Nice names. Lily is on my "possibles" list - and you've just reminded me that's she's the sister of Esme (Granny Weatherwax, if any of you read Terry Pratchett). Hmm, I feel a Witches theme coming on :D

THe Wendy house in the garden was approved for their temporary home but OH thinks too cold there too so has turned on the radiator in the conservatory for them....it is like having a new baby in the house.

Definitely too cold for little ones just yet! They will lose heat faster than bigger birds, and not have a fully-developed "built-in duvet" yet - and there will likely be a few more frosts before the end of spring. Whereabouts are you - in the chilly north or the mild south?

I'm hoping to get a couple of pekins soon, so I need more ideas for names. Since they're rather posh little ladies, I was racking my brains this morning for something suitable, but got led off on a different track entirely ......- any ideas?

Posh little ladies ... "Bea" and "Evie" from House of Eliot series?

www.bbc.co.uk/cult/classic/houseofeliott/

There's a "train of little ladies" in the Mikado, "Yum-Yum", "Peep-Bo" and "Pitti-Sing".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mikado

Posh little ladies ... "Bea" and "Evie" from House of Eliot series?

Ah yes - I loved that show! The exteriors were shot in Bristol, not far from one of the university departments where I went for lectures. Evie is short for Evangeline, IIRC.

There's a "train of little ladies" in the Mikado, "Yum-Yum", "Peep-Bo" and "Pitti-Sing".

I don't think I could name a chicken 'Yum-Yum' - people might get the wrong idea :)

All my girls have come from the Devonshire Traditional breeds centre at Downes in Crediton,about 45 minutes away from me.They have some lovely birds there,I would happily fill another Eglu or two! I do keep an eye on the second hand ones for sale on Omlet just in case there is one nearby,no luck yet though.

The babies seem very happy today,have just had a friend and her 2 year old son to visit,he kept going into the conservatory to " see my girls " which he decided to call Holly and Hattie for some reason.Think I will stick to our choice of names though!

Can someone remind me how to add new pictures to my signature,I can't remember how to get the little chicken picture!!

Thanks.

We had a few themes for names, my mum and I fancied quality chocolate names like Rococo, Godiva and Divine, I also thought about names beginning with H so wanted Hyacinth, Hermione and Hortensia, my DS wanted names from the Mighty Boosh but the characters are nearly all male so that theme was out!

We finally decided on their names after they arrived, Yum Yum was the first to stick her head in the grub, Lulu was the first to.......ermm christen the grass :oops: and Mimi the Mrs Pepperpot just seemed to demand attention as in Me, Me!