Nicola O

Suspected Gapeworm !! UPDATED

It's strange we have both thought iour hens had gape worm though. Kelly is definitely better than she was before I started the double worming though. :?

I'm not sure where to post this, but I've chosen here because this is where I have discussed Kelly and it might be of interest to other people thinking about gapeworm.

I now realise that Kelly never had gapeworm. She has a crop which isn't working. In November/December it became impacted. Using maggots we got her better. In March we thought she had gapeworm and dosed all the hens, then we double-dosed them. I took her to the vet who couldn't find anything wrong with her.

She was still doing the neck thing which is really distressing to see. Over the past week her crop has got bigger and bigger. I have been massaging it but without much success. Then on Monday the neck movement involved dropping both her wings to the ground. I took her to the vet and perrsuaded her to drain the crop with a syringe. There must have been 150ml of liquid which the vet thought was fermented rather than putrid. She could feel a lump in (or outside) the crop. Kelly came home and ate, ate, ate. The next day her crop was still full. :cry:

The vet thinks that the lump is blocking the exit sphincter, either inside or outside the crop. It could be an abcess but she is concerned that if she lances it, the contents will go straight into the crop, presumably resulting in septicaemia.

So the prospects for our very brave and determined Kelly are not looking too good. She isn't eating because her crop is full, but she isn't getting any food into her either. She can't last much longer and I feel very sad that I can't find any way of helping her. :( She is DD1's favourite and DD1 is away at the moment. :(

Other people have presumed gapeworm when it has been sour crop or similar. I didn't know the neck movements were a symptom of that.

Hi Ginette. Sorry to hear your news about Kelly, but you must feel relieved to finally know what is wrong with her (maybe relieved is the wrong word but I think you know what I mean)

After much more reading I think that Doris is suffering from either sterile perotinitis (as she has a flabby belly,pooey bum, unreliable layer and the gasping action. on the other hand, I'm not sure if she has sour crop too. She has a rather large crop which is often swollen, but not hard and feels a bit flabby. Can't say that I have noticed that she has smelly breath. Other than this she is well. I am going to try to empty the crop tonight to see what comes out.

Edited by Guest

im reading this one with interest, as i have a hen who i think showing signs of gape worm.

i am treating them all with normal treatmetn of flubevent but wondering now if i should up her dose to 2 a day :roll:

we looked down her throat it is all clear but on the sides low done it is redish, i thought it could be her skin veins etc??

poos normal, eating, drinking, grt

she aint laying at min does seem a bit brighter today, still napping now again doesnt seem as much today and i didnt hear that funny noise she was making today.

so do i carry on with her 1 aday dose she is on day 3 or do i up her for rest of the week to 2, would it be ok to give her it in the water, and syringe it to her only? carry on treating others as normal

Great ta i rung couple of vets in my area yesterday not one can see her :cry: no knowledge of chickens and one that does is over 40 mins away :cry: so im tryin this last resort will be the vets.

i am giving her flubevent and codliver oil in foods for them all,

just ordered as well some tonic.