Martin B

Showtime

Who needs showstopping looks when ours have such a diverse array of skills and fabulous personalities :P

I think I remember seeing somewhere that someone did show their birds recently and won awards too. I think it was one of our newer members....... possibly Tamsin, sorry if I've got that wrong, but I'm pretty certain that there was a thread with photos in Chickens Martin.... and not all that long ago :D

You'll need pure breed birds Martin, but if you fancy it why not give it a go. :D

I did used to enter my eggs in our local village show and sometimes did quite well. The secret was to feed the hens lots of really dark green cabbages to make their yolks a really deep yellow :D Now I come to think about it, showing was great fun :D:D

DSC01223.jpg

3 days before the show you bring the chickens in the house a give them a bath and check them for mite e.t.c. ,you then keep them warm in a pen keeping them in the house untill the show so the feathers dont get soiled or damaged,clip their toe nails.and feed them their fav foods.

On the morning of the show wake them up early and feed them a treat like bread soaked in milk make sure they have had enough time for this.Before putting them in travling boxes check them over.On arrivel check them again and put vasaline on their combs and use a damp cloth and wipe it over them then stand them in their pens.Yor are then asked to leave the building while the show is being judged afteer that return and see if you have any goodies :!::!:

martin ,it may be worth having a look on the internet to see if their is a local poultry club near you,thats what i did and i found surrey poultry society they have a few shows a year and hold nights were they give you usefull advice last time it was a talk on incubation ,Through the club you would hear about local shows and events :D

Here is a link that gives advice on showing and show stock.

http://www.poultryclub.org/Shows.htm

http://www.west-mid-show.org.uk/?p=9

I looked at the poultry scheduel and it said A decission will be taken on the 24th April with regards to whether the Society will be hold a Poultry Show ,if it does run it may be worth going because you can talk to people that show their birds and can tell you were their is some local shows/events.It as also good as you can see birds you do like and dont like and whats winning .It will also help you decide wether you want to give it ago :D