Jonny

Port Hole in the cube - do you use it?

I've got 5 hens, 3 always sleep in the nextbox, one perches in the port hole between the nesting box and the roosting bars and who ever is last in is stuck on their own on the roosting bars!

I was cleaning the cube out last night and wondered if they really needed that port hole anyway? Is its only purpose to offer some privacy in the nest box when they are laying? I don't think they would be bothered about that as its still dark and secluded in the purple cube.

i've got one nest box sleeper who prefers to keep those quarters to herself! :roll:

My big fat chook Ella sat in the circle one day and caused quite a kerfuffle as the nest box chook couldnt get out and ella wouldnt budge :lol:

I've never thought about moving it, I just wish more than one chook would use the nest box when laying - Im currently sat here watching a queue for laying on my "cube cctv"!

I took my porthole out as the girls used to think that if they could see one hen in there laying, there was no room for anyone else! Silly things. Even without the porthole bit, they still insist on laying one at a time, no matter how desperate them are :roll: . They don't seem to mind it not being there and sit quite happily in the nest. The distinct advantage for me is that I can peer through the ventilation slit on the opposite side and see if they've laid an egg without disturbing them by opening the eggport. I've actually seen Aphro lay 2 eggs now too which was rather special :D .

I had the same problem - so I used two blue mushroom boxes which fit nicely into the nest box (I cut one side of out each - well on end really the shortest end. They fit in lengthwise - problem solved - they use both - BUT you need to have the high sides together so they have their privacy.

Great tip about the porthole - I shall be removing that tomorrow - even less cleaning to do :wink:

Mine still have the porthole, but I did the same as Dilly - I have a small washing up bowl and an old biscuit box side by side in the nest area. They still queue, but at least two now lay at the same time (in fact I caught three laying yesterday - 2 were squashed into the washing up bowl :roll: ) They would only lay one at a time before :lol:

Millie my Buff Orpington bantam who is at least twice the size of the pekins and triple the size of the rosecombs - has gone broody -and when I lifted her off the nest today she was sitting on two pekins, Rosie and Daisy and on Rosecomb -Diddie - who were all sitting on three eggs!

Is that a record I wonder? And no broken eggs either!