anjuli

"To lose one chicken is unfortunate, to lose two.....&q

may be considered careless" to complete the misquote...Actually, not having a good few days with my chickens. This is the tale...A couple of days ago, one of my exbatts died after 6 months of freedom and living a REAL LIFE. She was fine in the morning and then went into the house earlier than the other three, was a bit quiet, didn't come out when the corn was offered, then died peacefully in her sleep. I consoled myself with the usual thoughts that come with having exbatts, you don't know how long you've got them, every day is a bonus etc. So that was that. Then the following day, Dolly, our year old cream legbar who is in a completely separate poultry pen with her 3 chicken friends suddenly went very quiet and sat around all day. Dolly is usually very inquistive and friendly. I wondered if she was going broody at first, but today, she is listless, won't eat or drink, to my knowledge, and although she has come down from her house, she hasn't done anything all day except watch and look slleepy on occasions. She won't take water off my finger or be tempted with food. She hasn't laid for a few days, but her rear end look clean although her poo is quite loose. She seems to flick her head more often than I recall is normal for her, but her gait is normal. It will be interesting to see if she takes herself off to bed with the others tonight... Oh, the joys and sorrows of chicken keeping.

Sorry to hear about your chicken problems Anjuli :( One of mine started looking a bit peaky and although she started laying again after the winter, it was very infrequent. So I gave her another course of Flubenvet and she perked up no end - she's also laying much more regularly again! So it's always worth a try :)

Well we have wormed her (syringe down the throat followed by some syringed water. She has drunk a little water herself now and she is sitting down in the run watching everyone. So no worse than yesterday, we'll keep an eye on her and try and encourage the fluids and food little by little. Thanks for all the advice. Can't see any signs of mites or lice....

I am wondering if she has sour crop. I picked up and water started coming out of her mouth. Her crop area feels squishy, and I have read that if you up end them and gently massaged their crop to induce vomiting and there is an offensive small, this could be the diagnosis. So I have just done that but I don't want to stress her out too much, so I will have another go later. Loads of clear liquid came out and alittle piece if grass, it smelt slightly unpleasant! People are saying live yogurt is good, oil to lubricate. It will have to be syringed down through as she isn't eating. Help! Advice needed! Sorry not sure whether this should be moved to chicken clinic now that it is turning into an ill topic. Please move it over if appropriate!

Had another go with dh following my instructions. Dolly retched and vomited yellowish liquid as well as about 5 melon seeds from a few days ago. Not sure if they would be enough to cause the problem. We squirted a little water into her mouth and then settled her down for the night. The chicken who is lowest in the pecking order has already started having a go, it's weird how they know. We shall separate her if it continues, perhaps just divide the run off so that they can still see her, but we won't have all the re introducing to do.

Tomorrow I'll buy some live yoghurt and we'll see how she goes.

We recently had this problem with Pepperoni.

Before feeding we tipped her up and massaged crop to empty liquid.

We used a mixture of live yogurt,layers mash,garlic and oregano - we syringe fed her 4-5 times a day, also if we put her beak to water she would drink it.

We also got some Noroclav from the vets that we mixed with water and syringe fed twice a day.

I understand now that you're not supposed to give antibiotics and yogurt at the same time so if it happened again I would give antibiotics first - feed mash or something sloppy and then use yogurt after the course of antibiotics.

She's fine now but not sure what worked best because we gave her everything at the same time!

Well, when I reexamined the vomit (sorry ex nurse!) I counted 10 melon seeds. This morning we have put her in a metal dog crate within the pen so that she is part of everything but has her own little apartment! She is perkier and is drinking, eating tiny amounts of grass, but hasn't touched any layers pellets or the usual tempting oats mash with raisins. When we emptied her crop this afternoon, only water came out, so we will wait and see. She appears to have a bit more fight in her and is not as lethargic. Tentatively optimistic...

I read somewhere that live maggots or mealworms in the yoghurt wriggle around and so help to dislodge whatever caused the sourcrop :?

maybe a fishing tackle shop? they should be open on a sunday

Be sure to use the undyed variety.

They do a good job but you hve to persevere for quite a few days.

They keep for a week in the fridge. :lol: