MrsDaisy

poorly bantam help please?

one of our banties has a very dark comb atm and though eating she is much slower than usual,she'll come for food slowly but stays still much more than normal, we "think" she laid last night and her rear end is clean.

would poultry spice or something similar help? i've tried to google for dark comb but not much joy.

thank you x

sorry Mrs Daisy, I am no expert - but I believe a purple comb can indicate heart problems. I don't know how old your bantie is, do you think this is a sign of old age?

If she is not displaying other symptoms, i.e. she's not sneezing, her knickers are clean, and she's still eating and drinking, then maybe she is just slowing down? I'd keep a close eye and just see if there's any change.

Sorry I can't be more help, but there are much more experienced chicken-keepers on here who may have more idea.

quick dash to the vets, she has an unbalanced crop and is on antibiotics. she's also lost weight rapidly because of this. plan is anti-b's then yoghurt and if that doesn't work she may have to be put down.

thank you for your help

Sorry to hear the news.

Poor girl.

Am not familiar with the term "unbalanced crop". Does the vet mean that it is impacted or that it has a fungal infection and is "sour"?

If it is impacted, undyed fisherman's maggots can often free the blockage if fed to the hen regularly over a week or more, and a bit of magsage to the crop can help too.