ali-s

Archie is grieving

Archie my Pappilon is missing our beloved Scooby who we had to have PTS nearly two weeks ago.

Archie seemed fine for the first three days and then started to howl when we went to bed at night. The howling lasted for about 15 minutes. We all agreed not to go to Archie when he howled so that he wouldn't catch on that howling equalled attention. Today Jack who is on study leave told me that Archie was howling this morning after I had gone to work :( Jack eventually got up and Archie has spent the day on Jack's bed whilst Jack revised. I have also noticed that Archie follows me everywhere and if I change posistion in a chair Archie jumps up ready to move. Another problem is that Archie has also started to pee in the kitchen during the night, not just one puddle but two or sometimes three which I clear up and disinfect.

I would be very grateful for any advice. thank you

First of all im really sorry to hear about Scooby - the whole family must be really upset :(:cry:

It is natural for Archie to miss his pal and the behaviour he is presenting is perfectly normal considering what has happened.

It maybe helpful to pop some rescue remedy into Archies water to take the edge off his anxiety.

Also if you still have one of Scooby's blankets with their scent on it it may help Archie if he has it in his basket so it is a familiar smell for him.

If you dont have one i strongly advise you buy Archie a new blanket and that you sleep with it for a few nights so it has your scent on it and when you go to work he will feel comforted to have your smell around.

As for the weeing in the night - do all the usual practical things like letting him out just before you go to bed and dont make an issue of the mess in the morning.

Depending on how you feel about having Archie upstairs you may want to do the following.

If his behaviour persists you could bring his basket upstairs so he is closer to you as its clear he is suffering separation anxiety. As time passes you can place his basket further from your room until he is settled back downstairs. This may be a very slow process so dont enter into it if you have any doubts.

Its good that your son is at home on study leave as this will help to reassure Archie at present.

I do hope that Archie settles down soon and that as a family you can adapt now that Scooby has gone.

Thanks for the replies :D

Last night there wasn't a sound from Archie. I don't know if he had cocked his leg up the kitchen table, but I didn't hear Andy cursing him :lol: at 4am this morning so maybe he hadn't :D Archie goes out at 11pm and Andy gets up for work at 4am so Archie is not left long and should be able to hold it in.

Scooby had a plastic bed and on the morning of her last day with us she had been very ill all over her bedding which I threw away. Scooby decided to spend the rest of her day outside in the Sunshine. I will sleep in an old T Shirt tonight and put it in Archie's bed tomorrow morning.

With us moving soon I hope Archie improves as the moving could make him worse. Luckily Jack and Natalie will be on their school holidays so Archie will have someone around for 6 weeks before he is left alone for a few hours each day.

Poor Archie (and the rest of you). Have you tried a DAP plug-in? It helped my dog when he had separation anxiety. It releases doggy pheremones which are supposed to mimic the ones their mum gives off (humans can't detect it). You can get it from your vet.

I suppose a puppy is out of the question? It would give him something to focus on...

I haven't heard of DAP plug ins, I will look into them.

We won't be getting another dog, although I have been promised a kitten. Archie came from a house that also had cats and we had a cat until the end of last year. Archie likes cats, probably because he and cats are about the same size :l