Cazjohn

Gentle,docile chicken?

Just want some advice - is this a daft idea?

My little Pepperoni has had lots of health problems she now has a tumour.

She still potters around scratching, eating and drinking but shes quite slow and falls over if she runs. I've had to completely separate her from the other girls because they all bully her so badly.

The vet says shes not in any pain and doesn't appear to be but shes desparate to get back in with the others.

Clearly shes not going to be with us for very much longer but I was wondering about getting another chicken to keep her company, But obviously a friendlier breed than my ex-batts!

Loopy idea or not?

Sounds as though it would be nice for her to have company. Though I'm not sure any breed is more docile than the other - think it's down to the individual chooks personality - out of my 6 , the light sussex is very gentle, a little shy, definitely bottom of the pecking order, have never seen her even look at the others the 'wrong way' :lol: My Rhode Island Red is also fairly easy going.

I might be wrong, but I'm wondering if age would guarantee submissiveness ? would younger (p.o.l ) chooks automatically be below yours in the pecking order ? sure someone with more experience will know.

light sussex are docile (if not a little bit dopey! :lol: )

We have cochins and they are really docile and friendly and very submissive chickens - they are happy to be at the bottom of the pecking order. They mix well with my other 2 breeds.

on the downside - they are big though (but you do have a cube! :D )

Thanks for your help and honesty - today shes very miserable and so am I because the weather is terrible!

I'll see how she goes for the next few days then make a decision - the difficulty with her is that shes always so bright and pleased to see you and eating and drinking so well but clearly at the same time not well :(