Birdie

Pecked and bloody wattle

We have just introduced 2 new hens to a flock of 4 existing hens. This morning one of the new girls has a cut to her wattle and has a little bit of fresh blood there. We have separated them for now. Is that the right thing to do? Is it going to be ok to put them all back together today/soon. I suspect this has happened as the new birds were in the nest box when 3 of the others wanted to lay although not entire sure.

Can anyone help or give advice please? I'm new to the site and not sure what I am doing so sorry if this is vague x

Gentian violet ( spray (AKA Purple spray) is perfect for this.

It is slightly antiseptic, and the colour masks the blood, to stop them others being attracted to it and making matters worse.

You can get it from equestrian shops.

Don't wear your best white shirt when applying it.

Also, a few drops of teatree oil in water is also useful for bathing.

Hello Birdie.

The 'injured hen' should be separated for a while until the bleeding stops as chickens are attracted to red :roll:

As Egluntine says, purple spray is good to disguise the wound, tea tree oil solution works well, or plain old salvon cream for the time being can also be used as an antiseptic.

Hope harmony is restored soon.

we have had to resort to the tea tree oil as this is all we can get for today at least. We have kept them separate all day and the small wound has now dried over. we have cleaned and bathed it. we have sprayed a light mist of it over all of them to get them all smelling the same.

probably not ideal but it is going to have to do until morning. We shall see what happens x

Thank you though x