Stevie

Broody-what else can i do?

Sage my 'Miss Pepperpot' started going broody yesterday.I got back home at around 12.30pm and she was sitting on both hers and Onions eggs.I turfed her out of the Eglu and shut the door so she couldnt get back in.She went to roost a little earlier in the evening,but nothing new when she's been freeranging almost all day.

Today,i got back home about 2.30pm and again-she was sitting on 2 more eggs from her and Onion.I turfed her out again,but this time left the door open and put a plant pot in the nest box.I looked outside about 1/2hr later and she was sitting on the plant pot.I removed her from nest,shut Eglu door and have dunked her botton in cold water several times to lower her temperature.

What else can i try? I have to go to work tommorrow so wont have the opportunity to keep turfing her out of the nest box and Onion still needs somewhere to lay so its not practicle to leave the pot insitu.I thought about putting couple of then blue freezer packs under the shredded paper in nestbox in hope they help lower her temperature?

I know this doesn't help you in the short term but I've just this minute ordered a puppy crate from Ebay to deal with Molly. She's gone broody twice in a fortnight so I'm hoping if it comes quickly I can sort her out. I'm doing the same as you at present - she doesn't seem too bad at the moment but may get worse, in which case the crate might have to be used.

It's under £20 so I reckon it's worth it.

I got home from work earlier to find her again sat on the nest-with the freezer packs & 2 eggs underneath.I immedietly got her out of the Eglu,shut door,dunked her bum in cold water and put her in the garden to freerange cos her crop is empty. :roll:

I'll have to persevere and see how she gets on,but i will give the puppy crate some thought if she dont snap out of it soon.

When Mrs Beeton went broody the dog crate was the only thing that worked - because it was early spring we didnt do the water dunking as it was too cold - but we would get her to free range outside as long as possible, would "throw" her so she would get cool air on her, chucked off the nest again and again and again................... the crate seemed cruel at first but within 48 hours she wasnt broody any more - just make sure she has lots of food and water.

Good luck

Would a plastic pet carrying basket thingy do if i drill more ventilation holes into base,sides etc? I havent got one,but i know they sell them at Pets@home. If memory serves me-i think they're high enough for adequate chicken head room.

The Argos one looks good but I notice it says for indoor use only :? . That might be a problem.

Sorry to keep harping on about the crate I've bought (esp. as I haven't even got it yet :oops: ), but it says weather-proof in the blurb * here *. Although they're both zinc plated so don't know why one would be weather-proof and the other not :? .

I couldnt resist it-i've ordered one excally same as yours from that Ebay shop too! :lol: It dawned on me few minutes ago that my sis has an unused dog crate which i could have used,but i think this is something i need for myself plus i hate borrowing things.Thanks for the linky!!!

Steve.

Much as i didnt want to do it-today i shut the Eglu door so neither of them could get in while i was at work.I felt a bit rotten because Onion isnt broody and still needed somewhere to lay,but i only ordered the puppy crate last night and i needed to keep Sage out of the nest box.

So after spending the entire rainy day outside (and finding an egg in the run which i guess is Onions!)-it looks like Sage has come out of her broody mood.I opened the Eglu door earlier and Sage went inside,but came out again after a few moments.She also dont look fluffy anymore which i hope is a good sign.

Atleast i'll have the crate for when it happens again. :D

edited to add:

I spoke too soon-she's dissapeared into the Eglu.She might have had enough of being out in the rain,or may be tired or still be broody so will have to see if she remains in there tommorrow morning.

I don't know if I'd be happy putting a puppy in it to be honest :? . I think it'll be OK for a broody cage though - it's not as though we'll have to use it for more than a couple of days at a time.

I think we may have to put the small roosting bars in though, the wire is quite widely spaced and I don't know if a hen could perch on it.

You get what you pay for so I'm not complaining. (It was certainly delivered super fast.)