hilda-and-evadne Posted June 5, 2008 Share Posted June 5, 2008 With the warmer weather - and the rain - the poo smell became a bit noticeable, and I am keen to be a good neighbour. So, having added bokashi bran to the feeders, I adopted a tip from someone on the forum and bought a bottle of citronella; after cleaning out the eglu poo tray yesterday and lining it again with fresh newspaper I added four or five drops of citronella to the newspaper before replacing the poo tray in the eglu. Wow - it's really effective - when I opened the eggport door later in the day to collect eggs, I got a blast of ... not, heated chicken poo ... citrus! It's a really strong, but pleasant, smell. It must have cleared out the chooks' sinuses, too, shut in the eglu overnight. This forum is fab. It has been so helpful in making a good start to chook-keeping. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Laura & CTB Posted June 5, 2008 Share Posted June 5, 2008 Smells lovely doesnt it? I spray all around the run edges with a mixture of citronella and eucalyptus oils. Keeps the flies away and I'm sure the chooks love it too Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Bexiboo Posted June 5, 2008 Share Posted June 5, 2008 Where do you buy yours? I haven't bought it before, is it readily available in most sorts of shops? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Rhapsody Posted June 5, 2008 Share Posted June 5, 2008 I make my own fly spray for the chooks and horses- get an old spray bottle and half fill with water, half with cider vinegar. Add 10 drops Citronella, 5 drops Lavender, 5 drops Tee Tree. Shake well before you use it. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
tiggerlady Posted June 5, 2008 Share Posted June 5, 2008 Wow that sounds like a really good mix! Would that be the cider vinegar for horses and chooks or the stufff you get in supermarkets? And where would we get citronella from as i know you can get the other oils quite easily.. many thanks. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Slats Posted June 5, 2008 Share Posted June 5, 2008 most people say you can get it from boots or holand and barret type shops. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
hilda-and-evadne Posted June 5, 2008 Author Share Posted June 5, 2008 Where do you buy yours? I haven't bought it before, is it readily available in most sorts of shops? I bought the citronella in Sainsburys (the dispensary counter). They also had tea tree. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
poachedegg Posted June 5, 2008 Share Posted June 5, 2008 Got mine off ebay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10ml-CITRONELLA-essential-oil-natural-insect-repellant_W0QQitemZ220240089097QQihZ012QQcategoryZ101768QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
clucking mad Posted June 5, 2008 Share Posted June 5, 2008 Smells lovely doesnt it? I spray all around the run edges with a mixture of citronella and eucalyptus oils. Keeps the flies away and I'm sure the chooks love it too dont the chickens like flies, mine are always chasing after them Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...