jess

Dripping vent and sleeping a lot

Hello there I have two problems I wonder if anyone knows anything or has had a similar incident.

One of my hens, my speckeldy, is sitting down a lot and almost falling asleep a lot at the moment. Does anyone elses hen do that? I'm hoping she just likes to sleep...

Also, my ex batt is healthy and happy but she "drips" occaisionally from her vent a watery liquid. Lets say a couple of drops every six hours something like that. She has few tail feathers so does this sort of dripping usually get soaked up by them I wonder?

thanks for reading!

2555135013_4b5fdc3018.jpg

Can't really help but it could be worth getting some natural pro-biotic yoghurt into them. One of my exbatts was really off the other week, tail down and sleeping all the time and I thought she was going to die, but I got water and yoghurt down her using a syringe and within a couple of days she was back to her normal cheeky self. HTH

One of my hens, my speckeldy, is sitting down a lot and almost falling asleep a lot at the moment. Does anyone elses hen do that? I'm hoping she just likes to sleep...

Jess, can't help on the ex batt "dripping" as no experience.

I've had 2 sitting down sleeply hens in the past. My 1st hen was only young, just a few weeks after delivery from Omlet, kept "sunbathing" or so I thought (as a new inexperienced keeper) but turned out she was weak and not eating/drinking and she died as she had no strength to eat. So I suppose keep an eye on her to check she's eating/drinking.

On a brighter note, another hen, just last week, developed a limp, kept sitting down for long periods and shutting her eyes. I added loads and loads of Limestone Flour to the feed and a few days later she was fine. Now this could have been something as simple as a sprain that righted itself, or it could have been calcium deficiency and weak legs (hense the Limestone flour).

The upshot is I've had this twice, with 2 different outcomes, and still no idea of the cause.

But then again, with this nice sunny weather, my lot have taken to doing quite a lot of sunbathing, 1 wing extended and eyes closed.

Sorry, I realise I've not helped with this ramble and may have even confused you a bit more.

Hm, I would be suspicious as well. Both of mine that died seemed to do this - sleeping a lot, not as active. Definitely not sunbathing, it's a different kind of sleepy. I'd certainly keep an eye on her, make sure she is eating and drinking, and check what her poos are like. Did you say you had wormed them? Would be worth a try, and check for lice. Hope she is OK. :?

Have you examined her to see if she has is egg bound or has some kind of blockage. The "dripping" could be the urates part of the poo appearing by itself.

I would have a thorough feel of her abdomen and see if anything stands out as unusual.

A visit to the vet might be on the cards I'm afraid.