hils78

Medicine box help

Can you helpful people give me a simple guide to a basic medicine box for my chickens? Like whats best I get in for 'just in case' such as that purple stuff I keep reading about but don't have a clue what it is! Also wormers etc and whats this Lime flour?

Thank you x

The "purple stuff" is Gentian Violet Spray. It is useful for disguising wounds from potential nibblers, and is mildly antiseptic too.

A good all purpose wormer is Flubenvet. Available on line. Google for suppliers.

Limestone flour is powdered calcium carbonate and is a calcium supplement, given to strengthen shells, bones and the muscular contractions required to lay eggs. Available from equestrian shops and on Ebay, as sold for reptiles.

There is an article **here** which describes what else you might need.

Hi,

Just to answer your specific queries...

The purple stuff you ask about is a spray, sometimes called gentian violet -here is an example of it online

http://www.flytesofancy.co.uk/acatalog/Gentian_Violet_Spray.html

It is used for minor wounds and also as an antipeck treatment - it dyes the area purple so the chickens can't see red blood...I used it recently on one of my new girls, and also got some veterinary wound powder

http://www.flytesofancy.co.uk/acatalog/Veterinary_Wound_Powder_125g.html

I use fluvenbet worming treatment.

Limestone flour is added to the feed as it's high in calcium and you can use it you get soft shelled eggs.

I bought all of my stuff at a local country/horse feed store so you don't have to necessarily buy online.

Hope this is a starter for you!

I always have some Avipro in stock - it works wonders.

Veterinary wound powder

Apple cider vinegar

Citricidal

Ivomec Eprinex for lice (not licenced for use on poultry in the UK)

Panacure for worming (not licenced for use on poultry in the UK)

Needle-less syringes for feeding and administering lice/worming treatment

Diatom

Red mite powder

Citronella oil

Eucalytpus oil

I always have Ivomec in stock for my guineas plus have a handy supply of Panacure.

I would have thought Ivomec would take care of mites rather than lice...mmm interesting

I work as a vet nurse & my boss hasn't the first clue about chickens :roll: but I can do a sneaky order for bits I don't have. :whistle:

Thanks for the further suggestions x

Ivomec Eprinex (not licenced for use on poultry in the UK) works for both lice and mites. I first used it to eradicate a nasty lice problem and it has alos got rid of scaley leg mites too. It's a wormer as well, but not as broad spectrum as Panacur, which also treats tape worms.

I am delighted with the results.