lindi

Red mite

Hi

I'm very new to this - both forums and keeping hens. We have our 6 girls since April and keep them in a cube. We have had a bit of a problem with bullying. 5 out of 6 hens had pecked back feathers and when I came home last Thursday Betty had a bald red patch on her back. Well as you can imagine I went into a flat panic. Barbara at Omlet was very good and gave me some advice and a trip to the vets showed we had a slight red mite problem as well as a bullying issue. Have got some diacom and know I can put it in the nesting box and on the bars but can I sprinkle some on the hens as well?

As far as the bullying goes a nice man at SPC said the bully would be the one with her feathers all intact and probably the worst layer. Well that led to identifying Milly. He recommended we separate her for 5 days to change her place in the pecking order. She is due reintergration tomorrow. Betty's back is healing nicely and she is happy and laying well. Milly has not laid a single egg since she was separated. We had a problem with soft eggs last week which I think now might be hers but we've had no eggs soft or otherwise.

I feel I've rambled a bit but being new to all this would love any advice people could give.

Thanks Lindi :)

Yes, sprinkle it under their wings and around their vent, and anywhere else you can get it on a wriggling bird.

Not so much that she is enveloped in a cloud of dust though as it isn't a good idea for them to inhale it.

Re the bullying, you can spray them with Johnsons anti peck spray or a substance called Ukadex, which smells vile, but has good effect.

If she persists you can fit her with a **Bumpa Bit**

Thanks very much for your prompt reply. I have some anti pecking spray on order and will be trying it as soon as it arrives as this one one of Barbara's suggestions. Hopefully it won't come to the bumper bits. Will now go and attempt to persuade the other half (his idea to have chickens!) that we need to give them a bit of a dusting.

Hi

I'm very new to this - both forums and keeping hens. We have our 6 girls since April and keep them in a cube. We have had a bit of a problem with bullying. 5 out of 6 hens had pecked back feathers and when I came home last Thursday Betty had a bald red patch on her back. Well as you can imagine I went into a flat panic. Barbara at Omlet was very good and gave me some advice and a trip to the vets showed we had a slight red mite problem as well as a bullying issue. Have got some diacom and know I can put it in the nesting box and on the bars but can I sprinkle some on the hens as well?

As far as the bullying goes a nice man at SPC said the bully would be the one with her feathers all intact and probably the worst layer. Well that led to identifying Milly. He recommended we separate her for 5 days to change her place in the pecking order. She is due reintergration tomorrow. Betty's back is healing nicely and she is happy and laying well. Milly has not laid a single egg since she was separated. We had a problem with soft eggs last week which I think now might be hers but we've had no eggs soft or otherwise.

I feel I've rambled a bit but being new to all this would love any advice people could give.

Thanks Lindi :)