daisydoo

Thinking of buying an Eglu

Yesterday afternoon I was reading some postings on the Rehome Rabbit website forums about Eglus. The people there are so negative about Eglus, which has got me a bit concerned. :( Naturally the welfare of my rabbits is very important to me and now I'm wondering if I'm making the right decision. I know my rabbits will probably sit out in the run most of the time. I've heard of people shutting their rabbits in the Eglu box during the night but I think my buns would strongly object to that. :shock: Does anyone here keep their rabbit in an Eglu all year round? If I get one I was planning on using it even in the winter (but with the winter shade and extra covers when required). Does anyone have a rabbit who happily lived in the Eglu during the winter months?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Anna

Hi Anna

Isn't it a shame that people can be so negative about innovation sometimes? Some of the traditionalists have rubbished the Eglu for hens, but it's by far the best option as far as I can see - and that's comparing it with my friends' wooden coops.

I have had my Rablu for ages now - I think I got it around Christmas, or maybe even before then. My bunnies love it; they spend most of their time in the run even at night, and I have put a plastic cover (made from an IKEA shower curtain) over the run to keep the rain off in the winter.

I wouldn't close them in at night as bunnies are very active then and would get stressed if they couldn't get out into the run. They don't have enough sense to keep out of the rain :roll: so I would recommend a clear rain cover. But used plenty of straw bedding in the winter and they'll be snug.

What colour will you get?

Ive had mine during the back end of the winter and the lovely cold windy and wet season they call spring. My Benji loves it, like you say hes not clever enough to go inside when it rains, but we leave the winter cover on all the time and just pull it back when its sunny then put it back on again at night, so its a bit like covering him up, he would never go inside at night hed just scratch and bang all night, he does run inside pretty damn sharpish if any startles him, hes not daft, (apart from the rain thing)

Thanks for the advice. I feel much happier now. I'll definitely use the winter cover and also a clear shower curtain or something to provide proper shelter when needed.

They really are anti-Rablus on the Rehome Rabbit website though. Several people have said it's animal cruelty to keep rabbits in them.

As for what colour - it'll have to be green because that's all my husband can cope with! I think the pink one would send him over the edge. :wink: It was his idea to get the Rablu (amazingly!) and even the price didn't seem to put him off so I don't really want to push my luck with the colour issue.

Anna

:lol: I like that about pushing him over the edge Anna. Do you have a link to that website? I'd like to have a look at what they're saying.

My girls are totally happy in theirs and like to be able to spend all day on the grass. I have put a hay rack out in the run as they seem to eat more of it when they are out there rather than in the Rablu :roll:

Thanks for the advice. I feel much happier now. I'll definitely use the winter cover and also a clear shower curtain or something to provide proper shelter when needed.

They really are anti-Rablus on the Rehome Rabbit website though. Several people have said it's animal cruelty to keep rabbits in them.

As for what colour - it'll have to be green because that's all my husband can cope with! I think the pink one would send him over the edge. :wink: It was his idea to get the Rablu (amazingly!) and even the price didn't seem to put him off so I don't really want to push my luck with the colour issue.

Anna

In what way do they deem them to be cruel ??? i think they are a lot better then your average hutch where they are caged up and not much space, the little ones you get from the cheapo pet shops especially. I can understand if you actually lock your rabbit in the rablu plastic bit, but i dont think they are designed for that purpose ?? :?:?