daisydoo

Thinking of buying an Eglu

I am looking into buying an Eglu as I would like 2 pet rabbits,ideally mini or dwarf lops. A majority of the literature that I have read suggests a minimum size hutch of 4x2ft. My main concern is that the rabbits will have enough room in the Eglu to stretch out on the occasions during the winter when they may have to be shut in overnight.

I would welcome any opinions/experiences.

The eglus would have plenty of room for the rabbits. I think that in the winter you could let them out if it is warm enough. But I should think there would be enough room. I hope somebody with rablu experience is along to help you soon!

...which begs the question -

why does the rablu have a door?

I don't think Omlet have done nearly as much thinking about the rablu as they did the eglu. The rablu is just an eglu without the roosting bars - and (to my mind) looks like a very expensive and not particularly advantageous way of keeping rabbits..

Phil

I suppose there is that.. 8)

BUT..

rabbits dig - that's a basic rabbit trait - so whilst the fox cannot dig in - what's to stop a rabbit digging out? Especially if you leave them out in the run overnight - when they are quite active and more likely to dig...

Phil

if a product is designed as a run for rabbits that is certified "safe" - you shouldn't need to buy an extra "under-thing"..

that's what makes me think it was poorly thought out...

it's like selling a budgie cage without a lid and then acting all surprised if the budgie flies out of the top... oh.. you can buy an optional extra lid if you don't want the budgie to escape...

Phil :?

if a product is designed as a run for rabbits that is certified "safe" - you shouldn't need to buy an extra "under-thing"..

it's like selling a budgie cage without a lid and then acting all surprised if the budgie flies out of the top... oh.. you can buy an optional extra lid if you don't want the budgie to escape...

You have made me laugh.

I have just got my rabbit Eglu. Orange to go with my yellow chicken one.

I can't believe what hard work the rabbits are. Makes the chicken's look a doddle to keep.

I had rabbits and guinea pigs as a child and just remember the horrid cleaning out. :x:x

Even though I seem to be doing it everyday with the two babies its not a problem. It is so easy to do and not really a chore. :)

I've not put the wire underneath yet. I will wait to see if they are diggers. They are on the patio as they are too young for grass. I found this out after half killing one when I let them straight onto grass when I got them :?

I was out in the rain shooing them back into the house last night. They have the winter shade on which is just fab :D but they seem to be a bit dim and find the spot that still gets wet and just sit there :roll:

Honestly they do make chicken keeping the easier of the two :!:

Phil understand what you are saying but some rabbits dig (mainly females) and some dont, i think that is why it is optional. it has a door so again you have an option, i only use mine to shut him in to catch him otherwise he sits in the run where i cant reach him. I also close it to shut him in the run whilst i clean the rablu out, otherwise he would be all over the garden.

i luv my rablu its fab and so easy to clean out i clean mine every day and it take 5 mins max! the rabbits seem happy enough too! they havnt started to dig YET but if they do i shall have to think about the mesh underneath! it is a very big expense at 1st but i think it is well wearth the money in the end :D

• Omlet Staff

Hi guys,

The reason that the rabbit eglu has a front door is quite simple. (As with chickens) you often have to clean out the house when the rabbits are in the run. So, you simply close the door and then remove the lid and the rabbits can't escape. This is especially important for rabbits as they don't like their bedding disturbed.

James

I bought my Rabbit Eglu around February, I was super impressed by the demo showing how easy it is to clean out the Rablu, the whole idea seemed great at the time because cleaning out the cages and hutches was a pain.

This proved to be even worst!! it really isn't as easy as Omlet make it out to be. The urine leeks through so you have to wash every millimetre of the thing and really scrub it down!!

Another thing is how they made out that you can "do it by your self", i need to get my brother to help me put the roof of the Eglu back on and secure it. Moving it with one hand is also a struggle, I think for men yes but for a woman no.

Even worst is cleaning the run area if it's on grass, what a nightmare! i think it's impossible to get the run area clean even if you use a rake, broom, blow vac, your hands, its nearly impossible to get out. any tips any one?

Something you should consider too is keeping the Rablu in the same place if on the grass, as of course you'd all know that the sun doesn't get through the Eglu you'll be left with patches everywhere like me :? oops.

The part mentioned about the extra run for extra costs is soo true, I had to purchase on and it all adds up!

I think the only, i repeat only good thing about the Eglu is the fact that they are free to rome about in the run area, and that's about it. I'm sorry Omlet, for the price it is I can't give you any more credit than that.

That's interesting Muna. I have a pink Rablu, with two bunnies living in it. I don't have any problem getting the top on and off, or moving it, and I am only 5'1" :oops:

My bunnies use a covered litter tray out in the run, so all their poos and stuff is collected in that and I can take it out for cleaning anytime rather than needing to clean the whole Rablu. I empty out the inner tray once a week and wash it fortnightly, which is fine as they don't mess in there at all. Try using a litter tray (I just transferred the one from the old hutch), with wood pellet litter (don't use the clumping ones). If you put some of their old mess in it they will soon get the idea. :D

I move it round the lawn once a week, and it does leave patches like you say, but any mess fromt he run is easily raked up and the patches green up quickly except in the winter when the grass has stopped growing.

I hope this helps

Ben my 8 year old can manage the lid and cleaning out himself, are you sure you are doing it right.

I do have pools of wee under the tray that lifts out as well, It's not that it leaks it is the rabbit weeing along the top edge and it running down under it.

I just get the watering can when I empty the tray and slosh it down, the water runs out of the two holes in the gray base.

I must say I don't think I would be cleaning out a hutch as often I do the eglu because it is just so much easier and takes a couple of minutes to do.

My rabbits love running in and out of the house down and round the run and back in the house again.

They seem happy with it too :D

...which begs the question -

why does the rablu have a door?

I don't think Omlet have done nearly as much thinking about the rablu as they did the eglu. The rablu is just an eglu without the roosting bars - and (to my mind) looks like a very expensive and not particularly advantageous way of keeping rabbits..

Phil

I'm about to order my Rablu and the door is going to be so useful because my rabbits like to "help" :roll: when I'm cleaning them out by snatching the dustpan and chucking it out of the hutch. It's going to be brilliant, cleaning them out when they're the other side of a door!

Mine is great for that too - I also use the Rablu as a broody pen when I need to put one of my banties in the slammer. I set it up so there's nowhere for them to nest, and I shut them in the run all day. Sounds cruel, but it snaps them out of their broodiness very quickly and is far nicer than dunking them in cold water.