lindi

Some advice on bumper bits please

Hi

I'm Lindi and co owner of 6 chickens. We've had them since April and they have been a joy to have wandering round the garden. A good destresser after a bad day at work. :) However we have recently had a problem with bullying. Have found the site really useful and have got the anti pecking spray as advised but having read what others say we may have to use bumper bits and I'd like to get some in just in case. My question is are bumper bits and anti pecking rings the same thing or different things? If they are different is one better than the other?

Thanks in anticipation.

Have just looked at the preview and not sure why the PP's have a hen icon but the GR's do not. What have I done wrong?

Welcome Lindi :D

Sorry, I've no experience of either bumper bits or anti pecking rings. I think they're different things, but don't know how they work , or which is most effective. I think maybe though that I should move this thread to chickens where you're more likely to get some more useful responses :D

I can help with the other problem though, the code for gingernuts is G N R , just type that in without the spaces GNR

Have just looked at the preview and not sure why the PP's have a hen icon but the GR's do not. What have I done wrong?

You have missed the "N" out. :D

It should be G*NR without the asterisk.

Bumper bits look like this:

bumper_bit.jpg

Anti Peckiing rings look like this:

anti-pecking.bit.S.jpg[/img]

Edited by Guest

I think bumper bits are better, because they have a bumper at the front as well as a bit in the mouth.

Anti-pecking rings only have a bit in the mouth, so hens can still stab with their beaks when wearing them.

I have also read that the rings are intended for small and younger hens.

I used bumper bits and peck rings on Prada. Bumper bits were great but only worked for a couple of months until her beak had grown longer and she was able to pull feathers out again. I found that if I then swapped to a peck ring it lasted for a couple of weeks - enough time for her beak to wear down again!

Thank you very much for all your advice. I have anti pecking rings on order from the domestic fowl trust but will order bumper bits as this appears to be the best thing and will keep rings in case I need to do some alternating. Another question - domestic fowl trust don't have bumper rings - who does?

Thanks Lindi

wernlas have bumper bits they cost 10p each if you send a stamped self addressed envelope to

WERNLAS

Green lane

Onibury

Craven arms

Shropshire

Sy7 9bl

with a note stating how many you require and send the equivalent amount in 1st class stamps they will be happy to send you some....(lolsays she who has just put the phone down from speaking to them, as having same trouble) and thanks to everyone on forum who gave advice...