Ros

My chook has a 'bruised' foot that feels hot..help?

I collected my chooks today and all 3 have settled well, eating, drinking, pecking the dog! However my little speckledy has developed a bruised foot,which is hot and a bit puffy but no redness or skin break, she lies down alot and stands on one leg, she can weight bear on the other and gingerly walk.........I wonder if it got banged when she was caught/transported and it will settle.

Any suggestions :?:

Not not really, it is bruised on top at the root of her toes and a little down the top side edges of her toes, As I say no redness just a bluey green bruise and it feels hot and there is some puffiness underneath

Any ideas?

I'd give her some arnica, leave it 24 hours to see if it calms down and then take her to the vet if it hasn't.

We sometimes see bruising at battery hen rescues, and I mention it to the people adopting them. We have to bring them out 4 at a time; two in each hand, held upside down by their ankles. No matter how careful we are, sometimes the odd one or two get bruised feet or ankles.

Thanks, it is reassuring to know hens can get bruised legs, ankles, feet etc. I suppose it is not surprising, it is pretty traumatic being caught, transported and rehomed.

I really don't want day 2 of chicken keeping to be spent at the vets, or to have to deal with bumblefoot.

Can i just use ordinary arnica cream I would use myself or something special?

Thanks