hanson Posted June 17, 2008 Share Posted June 17, 2008 Hi Just have a query for those who decide to have permanent sites for their eglus and those who decide to rotate the eglu around the garden. At the moment I'm going to rotate the eglu but was planning on having a permanent site in the next couple of weeks. However, I've been seeing how the girls appear to enjoy pecking at the grass so much that I worry if I put them on a permanent site with wood chip that they wouldn't be able to peck at the grass all day (I'll be letting them free range after work). How does everyone else think about this? Do you provide them with extra entertainment? Many thanks Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mutrix Farmers Posted June 17, 2008 Share Posted June 17, 2008 we've decided we will give ours a permanent site on bark or wood chips too. Chickencam says her girls love scratching holes in the bark, and worms come up too (which they don't quite so readily on grass) so I have no worries about moving them. And they will get to free range on grass every day after work and at weekends. Given the choice of flower bed or grass mine choose flower bed every time. They'll be fine. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted June 17, 2008 Share Posted June 17, 2008 Mine scratch around in the Aubiose quite happily. I give them a cabbage or some broccoli to play with most days. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Laura & CTB Posted June 17, 2008 Share Posted June 17, 2008 I dont have grass in my garden at all. Mine love scratching around in the aubiose for bits and pieces I hide for them. They also get plenty of greens to eat and the only time they ever get their feet on grass is if I buy them a turf to play with. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
alison Posted June 17, 2008 Share Posted June 17, 2008 I have ordered a permanent pen for my awaited chickens. I intend letting them peck all the grass until it has gone and then filling the run with auboise or hemcore> I was advised by the pen maker to fill it with woodchip, as that only needs changing every year ( to my surprise) she said just rake it about and hose it occasionally. Alison Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
hanson Posted June 17, 2008 Author Share Posted June 17, 2008 SOLD, on a permanent site!! Thanks for your hints & tips! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...