Nikki 17

advice / reassurance for new bunnie owners

Hi, We have just got our new baby bunnies and would really appreciate some advice / reassurance. Never had bunnies before so very green (and a bit anxious that we're doing it right).

the Rablu seems fine but we intially popped it on the grass, which the bunnies loved (6 weeks old) but then read the forum and moved it onto concrete - when are they old enough to pop back on the grass as we feel a bit mean? should we pop straw on the concrete or leave it bare?

We have a small litter tray in one corner of the rablu - Flopsy seems to use it for wee but patch wees anywhere intheir bedding - also they both poo throughout their bedding and the run - how do we train them? should we get a larger litter tray (in which case how do you fit it in) or should we use different materials for the litter and bedding (at present both are woodchip).

They seem to both stay out in the rain and get soaked - is this OK or do I need to get them to go back into the rablu when it rains?

We are feeding them hay, pellet food and dandelion leaves, at what age can we start varying the diet (or should we)?

what age should they be when we pop them off to the vets for annual check jabs etc

The rablu seems big enough for them as babies but is it really big enough when they become full grown?

They are both gorgeous and we love them madly, we know we sound very niave but this is a wee bit of a steep learning curve and we want to make sure we do it right.

Thanks for all your help

Nikki :lol: mum to Ciara :roll: who has flopsy bunny and fitz :twisted: who has patch

Hi your 2 sound like mine :D I am green like you still really, mine are on slabs no straw, this is only really to keep them snugly to sleep on in the house. Mind you mine seem to sleep outside in the run at night. I leave the door open all the time.

I have put a few boxes in the run which the love running in and out of.

I bought one of those corner litter trays, I've had it in the house and like yours one seems to use it for wees, the other just goes where it pleases.

I had sawdust in it to start just like the bottom of the eglu. I have just bought some of the auboise to try but you can use wood based cat litter as well in it. I put the tray in the run for a while, but they did not use it at all so its back in the house.

Your doing fine with the food. Keep it plain hay and pellets, I give the odd dandelion as well to them.

The vet told me their tummies are like brewing systems and very easy to upset so plain is best when little.

Jabs, the vet said from 4 weeks for mixamatosis and from 4 months to be neutered.

I have seen big rabbits in the eglu, they seemed quite happy. I think you just have to remember that it is not used like the conventional hutch where they are shut in the house, they love to run in and out,so with the secure run they are fine. As I said mine seem to be in the run all the time.

Hope thats answered a few of your questions anyway.

Hi, We have just got our new baby bunnies and would really appreciate some advice / reassurance. Never had bunnies before so very green (and a bit anxious that we're doing it right).

the Rablu seems fine but we intially popped it on the grass, which the bunnies loved (6 weeks old) but then read the forum and moved it onto concrete - when are they old enough to pop back on the grass as we feel a bit mean? should we pop straw on the concrete or leave it bare?

We have a small litter tray in one corner of the rablu - Flopsy seems to use it for wee but patch wees anywhere intheir bedding - also they both poo throughout their bedding and the run - how do we train them? should we get a larger litter tray (in which case how do you fit it in) or should we use different materials for the litter and bedding (at present both are woodchip).

They seem to both stay out in the rain and get soaked - is this OK or do I need to get them to go back into the rablu when it rains?

We are feeding them hay, pellet food and dandelion leaves, at what age can we start varying the diet (or should we)?

what age should they be when we pop them off to the vets for annual check jabs etc

The rablu seems big enough for them as babies but is it really big enough when they become full grown?

They are both gorgeous and we love them madly, we know we sound very niave but this is a wee bit of a steep learning curve and we want to make sure we do it right.

Thanks for all your help

Nikki :lol: mum to Ciara :roll: who has flopsy bunny and fitz :twisted: who has patch

I'll try to answer all these Nikki!

Definitely keep them off any food except for hay and dried food until they are older, usually around 15-20 weeks. So that means not on the grass - sorry

Mine are both (mostly) litter trained, and use a tray with the Tesco wood based litter ( it is important not to use the clumping one), pop them in the tary when you see them trying to do a wee/poo, and scoop any stray poos in there too. They will egt the message eventually as bunnies are very clean animals. The only ones they seem to have trouble controlling are the caecatroph (black sticky) poos, which they should eat anyway.

Mine do that rain thing too, and seem a bit dim wher rain is concerned. I have put an Ikea shower curtain over the Rablu run (like with the chooks) to protect them from the rain.

As above with the grass thing, they thrive best on a plain and boring diet. When the time comes to introduce new foods, do it gardually, and one new food at a time. Never any potatoes, fruit or lettuce though.

Try googling for more info; there's a wealth of information out there.

many thanks Clares - much appreciate your advice - I shall persevere with the training (they seem to be weeing in three different corners now - one stpe forward and two back!!!

They are much happier on the concrete, they come into the kitchen to play with the kids and then use the litter tray so I may try the suggestion of clearing out all the woodchip except in the tray until they get the idea.

I am now truly in love and Ciara is up for school each day with loads of time for cleaning the hutch (unheard of) and even cleans them ot in the evenings as well - so they have had a very positive influence in the household.

Thanks again

Nikki :lol: