hils78 Posted June 25, 2008 Share Posted June 25, 2008 This is my frizzle Pekin Bantam who's about 4 weeks old - does it look quite boy like to you? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted June 25, 2008 Share Posted June 25, 2008 S/he has got a better developed comb than his/her companion. What are the legs like? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
hils78 Posted June 25, 2008 Author Share Posted June 25, 2008 erm - what bit of the leg would you like me to look at? friz is 1 week older than the other mind... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted June 25, 2008 Share Posted June 25, 2008 The whole leg, to see if it is more blokeish I don't know if it is the same with frizzles, but in other breeds, the hackle feathers a re pointy at the ends in a male and rounded in a female, too. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
hils78 Posted June 25, 2008 Author Share Posted June 25, 2008 Ok - I will have to delve into its fluffy trousers & see what I find lol! I'll let you know! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
esta Posted June 25, 2008 Share Posted June 25, 2008 i think, if its a boy it will have horn looking things growing out the sides of his legs. a bit like another toe...i have a cockeral as u see in my pic, trhats wat kevin has Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
superjules Posted June 25, 2008 Share Posted June 25, 2008 I'm going to stick my neck out and say girl, although it may be a late developer. Either way you will know for sure within 2 weeks. How feathery are the feet? Does it square up to the other chicks? Here's a pic of our smooth blue pekin, Sonic, at 3 weeks for comparison, his wattles just started to show the day before this picture was taken. PS Where'd you get your eggs from? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
hils78 Posted June 25, 2008 Author Share Posted June 25, 2008 Thanks for that - Sonic does look more developed than my one. I got my 2 as chicks from Merrydale. I had an unfortunate situation with my coop & the Merrydale Crested I brought (coop was far too low for her & couldn't afford another coop). Karen swapped these 2 chicks for my Crested & is going to keep her in with her own misfits flock which is fantastic! The little one was a day old & the frizzle was a week old. I've kept them sucessfully under my own rigged up heat lamp & they've been thriving. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
hils78 Posted June 25, 2008 Author Share Posted June 25, 2008 Mmm sonics comb is very pink too. I am going to hope & pray my frizzle is a hen . Although just found a house today with 6 acres that we could by the skin of our teeth afford when we move could have a cockeral then! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
craftyhunnypie Posted June 25, 2008 Share Posted June 25, 2008 I too think it's a girl as it looks like my sisters lavender pekin - same big eyes too. Emma.x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
superjules Posted June 25, 2008 Share Posted June 25, 2008 6 acres?! Fantastic. They're lovely chicks. Very sweet. I asked where you got them in case they are related to Sonic, who is from Jayne at PekinPets. You can get clues from their behaviour too, Sonic squared up to the dog today and pecked him on the nose! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
*mummy_hen* Posted June 25, 2008 Share Posted June 25, 2008 i think, if its a boy it will have horn looking things growing out the sides of his legs. a bit like another toe...i have a cockeral as u see in my pic, trhats wat kevin has I think they are common in cockerals but our ex-batt Florence has a large one on the back of her leg and a smaller one on the other so it wouldn't necessarily be a sign that it was a male. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted June 25, 2008 Share Posted June 25, 2008 One of my hens has impressive spurs. She lays eggs though, so I'm pretty sure she is a girl. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
superjules Posted June 25, 2008 Share Posted June 25, 2008 Spurs don't develop until a bird is around 8 months old. I think you'll know one way or the other long before then! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
craftyhunnypie Posted June 26, 2008 Share Posted June 26, 2008 Oh yes! My bumble started crowing at 8 weeks! Emma.x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...