buffie

Name and Shame battery egg products or praise happy hens!

Well Kate I know how you feel, times they are a changing though.

I was heartened to find that amanda holden and charlize theron (oscar winning actress no less, remember monster etc) have written to Jane re hen welfare and offer support. Our voices will be heard and it's not just the hen welfare (although very important) a rescuer is doing a degree and looking at the effects of antibiotics ingested through battery eggs and meat. The welfare of us is also a huge area of concern.

Most people are against battery eggs, problem is the awareness of products has passed us all by. This message will filter through now. I am going to write to this morning to ask them to feature this issue, why not join me and that hits the mum's at home with their children. Also Hellmans sell as a quality brand and I think their problem is that they will be admitting their brand is c**p. The only way out is to sell an organic product, they may be forced to make all of it free range or devalue their brand. have you seen their website? It's talks about quality and that's nonsense when the eggs are such rubbish!!

Green and Blacks icecream is organic and the same price as ben and jerrys 'battery icecream' so the cost issue also doesn't make sense in that area. Help me by finding other battery products and don't forget noodles!!!

Thanks from 20 million hens currently in a battery cage!

Bx

I met up with my Mum and her partner today, they're flying out of Gatwick in the morning, and since I rarely see them we met up close to the airport for a catch up. Anyway we were chatting away and, of course, the chickens came into the conversation (I'm getting boring, few conversations these days don't include chickens :oops::oops::oops: ) wherupon Derek Mum's partner (NOT my Dad, poor dear Dad died several years ago- still missed though) chipped in with his chicken stories. Apparently as a youngster his parents kept chickens, war years and all that, but they found that they wrecked the garden and smelled too bad, so they hit upon the bright idea of enclosing them in small cages, and he maintains that his family were amongst the first to use batteries, albeit in a very small way :shock: I was amazed that he volunteered this info, seemed quite proud of the family's inventiveness :evil: Needless to say he thinks we're quite mad keeping chickens, smelly things he maintains :roll:

Buffie I've emailed my sis, both she and her partner work in TV, Jim's nothing terribly important, production team for YTV, but her partner Lou has far more clout as a freelance researcher/ producer, often working for Granada, they both know the This Morning team well, (great gossip when they've had one too many, but I don't see them often enough, and generally they're tediously discreet :roll:) I'll see if they can have words in the right ears or point me in the right direction.

I don't mean to sound negative, I'm right with you on the battery hen issue, I just get a bit despairing that so many people seem passive, unmotivated or whatever, and whilst I do my bit, just like everyone on this forum, it sometimes seems like the message isn't getting through, and those that could listen choose not to.

Well Kate do you believe things can change, I really do. Positivity pays off.

Thanks for asking sis and partner that's wonderful!!

I spent many years fighting demons, I had anorexia/bulimia and now, 16 years after recovery, I work to help other's and this is my 9th year!

A difference can be made. I don't wait for others anymore but make things happen myself. All that we do makes a difference, what's important is the fact we try. Actually I prefer to do rather than try.

Sorry quite serious but I think this year means alot of positive change.

Thanks for your positive support!

Bx

Perhaps a few Jamie Oliver style programmes tackling this area, educating population about the reality, and challenging the shops to reassess, could have supermarkets forced to consider a different emphasis.

Meanwhile, our little drops in the ocean will hopefully join up & make a difference, esp. as we tell anyone who'll listen!

I've really enjoyed reading this thread.

I agree with you Sheila about creating a Jamie Oliver style programme. What better way to use the media to get the message across. There is nothing more affective than an image or picture to really understand the message.

If people knew where their 'ecomony' chickens were coming from, they may think twice about buying it, but I really do think that if they SAW where it came from, they'd never buy it again.

We should all have the choice to be able to buy fresh organic food without paying over the odds for it, and the farmers should not loose out to these mass production people.

I find it so annoying that people who earn less, or those who are on benefits, have no choice BUT to buy so called 'economy' food. Why is it only the well off, or the higher earners have the privilege of a healthier, or more organic life-style?

It shouldn't be a privilege, it should be available and affordable for everybody and the Supermarkets should be changing their policies (and prices) to encourage and allow all of us to eat organic.

Where did it all go wrong? One greedy person, put his own profits before his own health and the welfare of our animals. Capitalism has a lot to answer for.

I think that supermarkets should have pictures of where the meat/eggs comes from. If it has a picture of exactly the conditions the animal has been kept in next to the product, it may make people alot more aware of what they are actually eating. I bet most people still have no idea how chickens are kept for industry; but people would become more aware if it actually showed them the pictures and it would make them feel alot more guilty. I mean even the most stupidest person could compare a picture of a chicken in a cage compared to one in a field and know that the one in the field is happier. I think supermarkets really need to do this as enough isn't really being done about it. Just got to give the consumers the hard facts about their food!

HI Katie,

A nice idea, but Supermarkets wouldn't do anything that would jeopordise their profits, like showing, for examle, pictures of the appalling conditions of our battery hens. They wouldn't have any gain from doing this, unfortunalty. But I do agree, it would certainly make people stop and think.

It needs people like us to keep chipping away at the government to do something. Change can come from the bottom, not always from those people at the top!

Yes, so true.

Look at us owning the funky hen house! Some students had a bright idea and they chipped away and got the message out. I never thought I'd own chickens. They have also helped the battery hen as the rights of chickens are now out there and I have learnt so much about their needs and how very clever they are.

Is it just me or are you seeing chicken stuff in all the shops and in magazines etc. I even subscribe to PP. My god I'm clever managed to get a pepperpot instead of Practical Poultry, i couldn't repeat that if I tried PP (ha ha!! :D:D )

Cats and Dogs couldn't be treated that way, quite rightly , but neither should a hen.

I need to make a new silly topic, It's time for a laugh!

:D

Bx

Edited by Guest

Just before this topic comes to a close, has anyone noticed that they have a leaflet about eggs at Sainsburys? It's produced by Sainsburys and tells you exactly how the eggs are produced (no pics though!). Explains about battery eggs saying how they are kept in caged environments, barn eggs - from hens in 'spacious' barns under cover, free range, woodland, etc. Basically it says you have the choice to what you want to buy. I think it's a really good idea and promotes alot of awareness to what you're actually buying. It could've been triggered by the increasing amount of people who have written in complaining about them stocking battery eggs (inc. me!), Sainsburys must be recognising an increase in complaints, and are giving their customers more information about where their food comes from. Which is good! And will hopefully convert some people to free range or woodland eggs!

I've avoided battery eggs for years, and don't buy anything that I can't be sure about so it's good to have the extra info about known 'bad' products. Obviously I don't need to buy eggs anymore :D because of my gorgeous girls, but knowing what products to avoid is something I'm constantly trying to keep pace with. I also avoid buying anything except organic chicken to eat for the same reason - although it has to be said that the incidence of chicken consumption in our household has dropped dramatically since the arrival of Milly and Molly :shock:

My other bugbear with 'factory' farming is pork because of the appalling conditions that the pigs are kept in. I actually find the literature on this subject too distressing even to read, but make my feelings known by questioning supermarket meat counters about the origin of their pork (mostly sausages because we don't generally eat pork). Many of the counter butchers seem shamefully ignorant about the orign of pre-packaged meat (chicken included) so I hope I'm raising awareness just by asking questions.Is it time for a Eglu for pigs???

It seems to me that just by becoming Eglu owners we are raising awareness of farming conditions in the UK, which can only be a good thing.

Just a reminder for you to spread the news about products. Yes I know you are all doing a great job.

Reminder of battery hen or eggs.

Pet foods, Burns are good chicken, organic and waitrose own (i think they are good due to policy in april of no battery egg/hen products)

If anyone is using pelleted chicken manure (not us I suppose) that is often battery hen waste!

Ken hom noodels (battery egg)

Worth a check on the packets, there is a blue dragon (think that's the name) organic egg noodles and again waitrose own are ok (check packet for confirmation)

Lastly even people anti battery eggs are caught out by pre packet salads etc. Worth a check at this time of year.

Thanks again and thanks to Sheila :) for keeping the rescue in 'the news'.

Bx

I think the Dispatches programme on Thursday night will be very interesting to watch. It shows what happens behind the scenes in the production of supermarket food, including the rearing of chickens for meat and eggs. I suspect it will be very upsetting to watch though :(

Sat in a lovely pub garden at the weekend and realised how many sauces on the table contained battery eggs. The portion controlled 'offenders' looked all country style and depicted flowers and green fields. The heinz horseradish even contained b e's. :(

One friend had a roast and was oblivious to this fact, they care about animlas and have changed their shopping habits but it's not sunk in how many things can have hidden eggs. I said nothing, I have said my piece and will only remind if asked. I think a logo depicting free range and welfare would be a good idea. The vegetarian society logo means all eggs are free range.

Bx