Olly

Feather pecking - self-inflicted or not ... Ukadex?

My chooks have been together since March with no obvious problems although one gets jumped on severely by the others, there haven't been any real pecking issues. Yesterday I noticed that Hilda (who is not the bottom chook, by the way) was sporting a double-breasted look! I checked her over, and there's a distinct line of feathers missing from her chest, with a bald spot at the top. I haven't seen anyone else pecking her, nor have I noticed her doing this herself. She's not broody, and is looking healthy in all other ways.

question 1 - is she likely to be plucking herself, or is it one of the others? :? I've been checking for bald botties, as I assumed from other posts on here that this is where pecking usually starts, but feather knickers are all intact.

question 2 - is Ukadex the answer (it should stop the pecking, whether it's her or another)? If so, any suggestions where to buy it, as the sites I've seen so far all seem to want about £7 postage! Would gentian violet do instead (I'm a bit scared of Ukadex!)

I did wonder if it was mites or lice, but I can't see any and the other three all seem fine. Any suggestions, please!

Would be interested in any replies too as one of mine has alot of feather loss and has been pecked this afternoon enough to make it bleed. Have separated her but she is pecking herself now.

Mine are 18 months and precume its her first moult but have found red mite in the coop today and have treated it with Poultry Shield.Had let it lapse and am so cross with myself.

Sorry to hijack your thread,hope yours have improved now.

Suzanne

well I never got any replies, Suzi! I am sure it's not red mite, but that does sound as if it might be the problem for yours. Hope it's cleared up.

I got the Ukadex, and sprayed it - it's absolutely foul - they don't seem any worse, but I'm not sure if it's still happening as I've been away for a week. I never actually saw one of the others pecking, nor have I seen them plucking their own feathers.

I may be moving on to bumper bits, the Ukadex may work while the smell remains but it's so horrible that you don't want to go anywhere near the chooks while they have it on!