Tessa the Duchess

Poorly Winnie

Winnie has been sitting under a bush all afternoon with her eyes closed. I managed to get her out and brought her into the kitchen so I could have a good look at her. She pooed/laid a very liquidy substance which looked like egg white with cream bits in it. Do you think she is laying a softie or could she be egg bound, she hasn't laid an egg today. When I examined her bum for lice, just in case, I noticed her vent was sort of pulsating, is this normal?

I am very worried about her.

Tessa

Winnie doesnt sound her usual self does she? :?

It does sound like she has laid a softie.

I would keep a close eye on her and ensure she is eating & drinking ok. Chooks usually bounce back after laying a softie so she should hopefully be ok in an hour or two.

Keep us posted

Has she perked up a bit yet? Sounds like there may be a soft egg on the way. Don't worry about the pulsating bottom, they do this normally. My latest ex-batts have very bald bottoms and it's rather off-putting seeing it 'munching' a lot of the time.

I'm sure the Eggsperts will be along soon to give you some more advice...

Thank everyone for replying :) I chucked some sweetcorn under the bush, I just wanted to get something containing liquid into her, she woke up and scoffed the lot, then went back into eyes closed mode. I managed to coax her back into the run and she had a big drink of water. I just went to look at her and she was standing on her branch perch looking a bit better but her tail is still down. I am pretty sure it was all due to a softie and fingers crossed tomorrow she will be back to normal. Thanks for the heads up about upping the calcium Egluntine, will be ordering some Limestone Flour, don't want to go through all this again :roll:

Tessa