JM

Big crop (was - How do you give olive oil/liquid paraffin?)

Silly question I know, but how do you give a hen olive oil or liquid paraffin?

Daphne's crop is still huge after her catching and eating a frog the other day. She's still scratching about, eating and laying, but I thought I would try the maggots and massage as the crop is very big and it must be uncomfortable as she keeps moving her neck. I got some maggots this afternoon and all 3 hens wolfed them down, then when Daphne decided to have a little snooze, I picked her up and sat with her on my lap massagin her crop - she kept falling asleep so it can't have been too stressful!! We shall see if it works. I went out just now (about 4 hours after the maggots)and her crop is still big and she's doing the neck thing again...

Anyway, I called in at my vets yesterday and they suggested liquid paraffin and massage - but I haven't tried that yet - they gave me a syringe to administer it, but what is the best way to open the beak??

Thanks

Edited by Guest

I got a plastic syringe from boots, filled it with olive oil, and held the wattle - for some reason this made her want to open her beak. It took two of us, one to hold her steady, the other to administer it. You have to make sure you miss the whole that goes into the lungs...

Not sure, to be honest! I saw some instructions on an omlet sticky somewhere on how to clear an impacted crop 'not for the faint hearted' it said. My OH did it wrong first time, and she made a choky, gurgly noise afterwards, and I panicked a bit. Second time, he said he saw the hole, and made sure he bypassed it, To be fair to him, I hadn't read the instructions clearly first time, I was more concerned with restraining the chicken. I'm sure it's on here somewhere. Or google it. Some recommend feeding them bicarb and holding them upside down to make them sick, but I understand this can be dangerous, they can choke! I fed maggots afterwards; they are good for eating through an impacted crop.

Thanks everyone!

Poop warning....

She was first out of the house this morning! Her crop is still big - but it is definitely a bit smaller. I looked at the droppings tray - and where she started the night there was a dropping which was fibrous (ie not watery) - but not a normal dropping - but there were loads of dead maggots in it from her afternoon feast! So they had found a way through, but she hadn't digested them. So there isn't a blockage!

I gave them more maggots this morning (ugh!) - they all seem to love them! When I left her she was doing the neck thing again - looking like she was trying to move the load around! She's laid as usual and has been tucking into the pellet porridge as if there is nothing wrong!

There could be a bigger blockage than you imagined, so keep going with the treatment, as it sounds as if things have shifted.

If she continues to have symptoms after a eek or more, I would take her to the vet as there could be an internal reason for the blockage.

Thanks! I just sat and massaged her crop just now - it's definitely smaller than yesterday... She's still eating well and looks really bright.

When I give the maggots, the other 2 also get a share - it's OK for them isn't it?

Update:

I let the girls out this morning and all was well - all coming out as usual.

Daphne's crop was still big. So I picked her up and thought I'd check her bum first as she tends to have a mucky rear (since before the crop) - so I held her and quickly upended her (gently and not too much).

When she was upright again she was opening and closing her beak as if she was drinking and she had slightly wet feathers under her chin - with a slight vinegary smell. I went to my pocket to get a tissue to wipe her down and noticed she'd given me a bit of a present all down my right side - from when she was upended! :vom: Obviously some crop contents! (Sour crop?)

I put her back in the run and she was totally normal as she has been all week! I looked in the droppings tray where she was last night and the droppings look normal, but small (ie they are firm, and the right colour, but there just wasn't much of them compared with the others).

So do you think a visit to the vet is in order to see if there is a problem? (It's now a week since the frog and big crop!!)

Thanks

Jill

I took Daphne to the vet on Wednesday evening. She was totally laid back about being in the box and taken on a trip! She enjoyed the vet massaging her crop as well. He wasn't too worried as everything felt OK (apart from some of the frog bones that he could feel!) - the crop was not compacted and it wasn't sour crop! He said that the bones would eventually decalcify and pass through OK. So we came back and Daphne carried on as if nothing had happened! I've just got to carry on massaging her - but nothing to worry about!

Guess what we were charged.... £10 (which I thought was pretty good value!) :D

J

Gosh - that's good! If I take the cat, it's more than that just to go through the door, but I'm pretty sure they rate the consultation according to the perceived value of the animal - after all, "Ooops, word censored!"ody would ever take a hamster or a gerbil if they charged the same as for a dog or cat.

Glad to hear it's good news, although I did nearly :vom: when I read about the frog bones ... !