TonyW

Bleeding Hen

I hope someone can help.

One of my hens is bleeding from the back end.

I have washed her and cleaned her and noticed that her back end was pulsating a lot, she looks a bit sleepy at the moment.

This has only happened this afternoon as she was fine when I left this morning. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Firstly you have done the right thing by cleaning her up.

I presume she isnt still bleeding now?

If she is she needs to be separated as the others will peck at her and make it worse.

How much blood did she lose? :? Was it dripping or just a few smears? :?

Did it occur after she had laid?

Has she eaten & drank well throughout the day and was she her usual self?

Sorry for all the questions but it may help in finding out what has happened.

After I cleaned her up there did not appear to be any blood coming from her, I have separated her from the other hens by putting her in a pen on her own.

It appeared that a fair bit of blood loss was present around the shed, and on her back end, but i think that may have been because the others were picking at her. I dont think she has had much food or water today, but i put some in the pen for her before i came home.

She does not appear to be her usual self a bit dozy and wobbly on her legs, I have had a message of a mate of mine who thinks she may be egg bound or have a broken egg inside her.

Your mate might be right but it also sounds like she could have had slight a prolapse too.

If you can encourage her to eat & drink this would help as that may be why she is a little wobbly on her legs. Cucumber is good as if she wont drink its water content is high.

I would bring her inside tonight, keep her warm and give her some extra TLC.

If she hasnt improved in the morning or possibly passed the egg that maybe stuck or broken, a trip to the vet is needed.

Just been to the allotment first thing this morning to see if she s ok lifted her out to have a look, no more bleeding but a fair bit of white discharge that has run down her back end, and is a bit smelly, cleaned her down again, cleaned her pen out, put in fresh water and feed, seems a bit perkier this morning.