Phosphorus

Half passed softie

Probably one for Egluntine but any thoughts welcome.

DH noticed that his black rock was a bit out of sorts last night, didn't want an extra corn treat. This morning I have found out why:

she is passing a softie but has only passed the yolk - soft shell can be seen scrunched and halfway out of her vent. She is obviously having fun with it as tail is down and rather than gorging herself on pellets the minute she was let out of the Cube, she just had a few drinks.

I touched the bit of soft shell hanging and went no further as it was obviously still firmly in and I didn't want to pull on it. It is quite a soft shell, but shell rather than membrane.

I am presuming I just wait and watch at the moment and hope she passes all of it, without too much attention from the other girls. A few have had one peck of the bit of shell but lost interest immediately so at the moment I think she is avoiding a pecking attack.

Any other thoughts to help her here? I might be ordering shellmax or the like - but I think this is the hot weather, the softies seemed to have sorted themselves out until this last batch of heatwave :cry:

She will pass it of her own accord eventually.

However the other hens will be curious and may start pecking her.

I'd be inclined to grab hold of her and have a look. If there are sharp bits to the shell I'd not tinker too much, but if it is mainly rubbery, a very gentle easing out should be OK.

In this hot weather I'd be concerned about infection setting in as raw egg is the perfect medium for bacteria to go mad.

Perhaps the application of a little Vaseline might shift it, or the old steaming method.

Good luck.

Thanks for that I will pop in the shower and go out to her again. I was going to let them out early anyway in a bid to try to avoid her getting too much attention.

It looked quite soft but might have some sharp bits - more soft shell than rubbery if you know what I mean, but pretty thin. I didn't want to play too much but was tempted to just pull it out - I get the feeling it would come :lol: I think I will watch and wait for the morning and play it by ear.

Thanks again.

Well she didn't lay anything further yesterday. Today she looks a bit brighter, tail is up slightly and she went for the food straight away this morning. Hopefully she will lay today, although I had two softies in the droppings trays overnight so she might not (if one was hers) - luckily both softies intact so no worries there :lol:

Roast laid an egg today and is attacking her food in the mornings now as usual. Hopefully that means the risk of any peritonitis from any shell left behind is drastically reduced - she seems back to her old self :dance::dance:

Quite a relief as we are away for a week from Saturday with the neighbours keeping an eye on our girls - don't expect they will get much attention other than feeding and watering and egg collection :?