urbanchick

Lady's not well

One of my ex batts, Lady, has been looking poorly for a few weeks. She has been separating herself from the others and standing still alot, closing her eyes. She's also been shaking her head frequently and her comb is really floppy, and was tinged blue last week. She has no signs of infestation and I wormed them all to make sure that wasn't the problem. Previously she wouldn't move except for treats but for a couple of days I've had to lift her out of the cube in the morning and put her to bed at night.

Today she has just been lying in the middle of the run with one wing out a bit. I suspect she's dying from old age and I want to make her as comfortable as possible. She's inside in a box with some hay and some water, which she is not drinking. Should I give her some food?

Unfortunately we are going on holiday on Monday and I don't know whether to have her put down or leave it to my friends to deal with!

:(

Usually a blue comb is a sign of heart problems.

However, the weather has been hot lately and my girls have been resting with one wing out in order to cool themselves.

I would offer her some food - it can't do any harm - but getting her to drink some water is more important.

I'm sorry not to be of much help but I'm sure you will make the right decision if her health deteriorates further.

Our ex batt Molie was really ill 2 weeks ago, believe it's her heart. I have given her one drop of digitalis 30c and 1 drop of adonis 30c daily and she's fine. Running around and full of it. These are homeopatic remedies we used for our cat with a heart problem. She really did turn from the brink.

Galen homoepathic sell the tinctures and they are ultra quick. Can't promise but worth a try and I will add this to the homeopathic sticky I made vsoon.

Buffie x

I found Lady cold in the nesting box this morning, where I put her last night on lots of hay. It's very sad and my 5 year old son seems to be coping better than me! She had 4 and a half months with us and even when she started to look unwell she still had treats and dustbaths. So I'm happy she had a good retirement and died with some dignity.

My first chicken death so now I know what it's all about.......

Thanks everyone. Of the other two, Emily is so fit and healthy you would never know she was a battery hen and although Henrietta is a bit scrawny and picked on, she seems fit enough, so I hope we don't lose her for a while.

abwsco it is very sad to lose 2 in a week, that must have been really upsetting.