Jay bird

No eggs yet

We had two chickens arrive on 4th July and while one (the younger of the two) started laying just two weeks later, we have had a few problems with the other.

Just under two weeks ago she seemed quiet and we realised she was crop bound. We tried giving her olive oil and massaging her crop but this didn't clear it, so we eventually made her sick to clear the undigested grass and corn. She had laid her first egg that morning (although we didn't realise it was hers until we found we had two!) and it was cloudy when we cracked it. However, she hasn't laid since.

The good news is she is bright and alert and back to good eating habits, but we are concerned that there doesn't seem to be anything happening on the egg side of things!

Has anyone else had this trouble, or can anyone advise what would be the normal timescale for her to get her system back to normal completely?

Any help or advice appreciated!

Jo

(green eglu)

GNR Nutter !eggbrown!

PP Nugget :?

I can sympathise with this. I have had progressively less and less eggs from all 3 of mine – now none at all, and the situation is baffling me. One of mine, Willow, laid her first egg over 2 weeks ago and nothing since. I am now worming them all with a double dose of Flubenvet as I suspect gapeworm in at least one of them. I hope this works because I have completely run out of ideas. Here is a list of suggestions I have been given when asking similar…….

It could be that she is just a bit slow getting into the routine of egg laying.

Check her for lice or mites or anything else that could be effecting her.

Have they been wormed since you got them? Particularly if they are free ranging this could be causing the problem.

Check that she hasn’t been laying them somewhere strange (in a hedge etc)

Make sure she is eating enough of the layers feed, keeping her in the run without alternatives to eat until late afternoon.

Hope this helps, but I’m hoping someone on here has other suggestions, as I am out of ideas for mine! There will be a big announcement from me on here if I ever get 3 eggs in one day!!

I have had exactly the same, we got three POL from a breeder, two of which layed straight away for 2 - 3 weeks then went on a go slow and then nothing for 3 weeks. The third took the chance to corner the market and started laying non stop. I stopped all treats and free ranging, ground up the layers pellets to make a mash and gave it with ground oyster shell, avipro and bokashi bran plus a cousre of Fulbenvet. It did the trick and all came back to laying within the week. Now I give them a mash each day with poultry spice, oyster shell and an bit of avipro and they devour it .In fact one decided to eat the whole lot and her crop was almost touching the floor. Big egg the next day though! There are so many factors but my guess it was a combination of new home, different ground, getting egg laying worked out and picking up parasitic worms from slugs and snails.

Good luck