icydee

Neighbour making formal noise complaint.

23 hours ago, soapdragon said:

Contact the Environmental Health Dept at your local Council.........make a noise complaint. They will send you a noise log to keep with details of volume, times etc and they will also write to the neighbour to make them aware that a complaint has been lodged and that the situation is being monitored. Sometimes this is all it takes to resolve the matter however, you can then submit the noise log after 2 weeks and the Council will then consider whether further correspondance with the neighbour is appropriate.  It's always better to follow the proper channels and take action than to sit and seethe.

Not sure what the allowed decibel levels are for outside noise but I'm a bit doubtful these birds exceed the limit. It's especially the non-stop noise, they do not shut up for a single second. It's constant, You're out in the garden you can hear them, I walk a couple of seconds  to my car on the driveway, you can hear them, I open the window etc etc

On 9/30/2020 at 1:41 PM, AndyRoo said:

Two of my neighbours have aviaries. On either side of me. It isn't fair on birds to keep them indoors in cramped little cages, which is why aviaries are better. If you don't like the noise, move. It isn't up to you to dictate what pets your neighbours can and can't have. And what you're suggesting sounds like criminal damage and harassment to me, if I were your neighbour reading this, I'd likely ask the police to investigate you after reading that.

As I already stated: neighbours do have aviaries, and loud children, and dogs barking, and I have the noise from the main road, and the birds in the trees and a million other constant noises. I just recognise that I can't expect everyone to only have pets that I deem suitable for them. The way that, if you had a very yappy dog, I wouldn't lean over the fence and say that you have to keep the dog inside and silent at all times because it's irritating me... 

I'm not even sure that you have the best neighbours in the world; it sounds to me like you just live next to reasonable people. Which most of us do! ;)

As I thought, no idea. You even state later that it depends on what music it is whether or not you would have a problem. Move! Yeah, great idea.  You and people like you give sensible pet owners a bad name. People who think their neighbours will have no problem with the noise their pets make are clearly selfish at best.  Constant noise is a nuisance and listening to caged birds screaming all day is a nuisance.  It is also probably a sign that the bird is distressed. 

On 10/6/2020 at 1:45 PM, soapdragon said:

Contact the Environmental Health at your local council - they will be able to advise you and at least you will feel that you are doing something positive.

Thanks, I have contacted them and moves are afoot to get the neighbours to move their offending birds out of earshot of their long suffering neighbour despite their protestations that they don't notice the noise.  A win for common sense. 

On 9/29/2020 at 4:11 PM, DarkPool70 said:

IMO there's a BIG difference between a kid that occassionaly screams, a dog that occasionally  yaps or an aviary full of birds that never.shut.up! As soon as I'm in the garden I can hear them chirp, chickens are mainly silent apart from the egg laying thing but I don't mind that, It's all about the amount of noise and in the case of an aviary it's incessant, ongoing and very annoying. It's the equivalent of me playing dance music from 6-20 in my garden at a level within the legal decibel range. Not necessary and you are certain to upset your neighbours. If you want to keep birds, fine, keep them indoors and don't be a nuisance towards your neighbours.

Exactly that. The equivalent of playing music from dawn to dusk every single day of the year. And it seems like your neighbour and my neighbour are just selfish, thick, vindictive or all three. 

To be honest in this situation, I'm not sure which is the best option - being able to hear or being deaf.

Of the 2, I would pick being able to hear over being deaf.

Sadly we just have to put up with noise and neighbours we find irritating.

People are entitled to their own opinions as indeed they are entitled to have what they like in their gardens.

Like Cat tails, I have tinnitus and sometimes the noise in my ears is awful and certain outdoor noises make my ears ache and I can't stand some noises.

But right now, life is too short and there are more important things to worry about.

• Like 4

*not so nice term* who want to live on a farm! Listen to yourselves.

I've got an idiot next door who thought chickens were a good idea in a built-up area and it's driving me nuts....
Every 20 minutes, 20 minutes of clucking for no reason whatsoever!

If the you people and the council don't think it's a problem, you should live in my shoes for a day.
If they're so quiet, why did he build the chicken coop as far away from his house as he could...?

If no-one's going to do anything (doesn't sound like they will), I'll buy a taser.

Polarised views are never too helpful, and I've read precious little truly pacifying content in this thread. It seems the two prevailing views are:

• that any neighbour whose possessions create a regular low grade noise that one happens to dislike is a selfish half-wit with no right to impose upon others around them.
  • that any neighbour who finds the regular low grade noise made by one's own possessions is an unreasonable complainer whose discomfort is of their own making for being so intolerant.

And yes, I have exaggerated for effect. Clearly the reality is that neither viewpoint is wholly right or wrong, and who has the greater grievance in a situation of conflict will inevitably depend on the details of the case; it would be unreasonable to expect silence of one's neighbours and it would be unreasonable not to foresee that an aviary with a couple of hundred birds is a very different prospect from one with three or four. And yes, it's not just volume that may be an issue, it may well be noise quality and regularity too.

I'm convinced that few of the posters to this thread will be swayed by any more arguing, so the only sensible point left to make here is this. If you have a disagreement with your neighbour, discuss and explore areas of compromise. If that doesn't work, take it to court and let an impartial judgement decide. If that judgement doesn't go in your favour, accept you're being unreasonable despite what you may think and change your actions to fit in. If you can't do so, move house.

That's why we have the judicial system we do. One size fits all, both for chicken keepers and neighbours of such.

• Like 1

Our neighbours have chickens and they are very noisy every morning for hours. We live in a quiet area and obviously you can hear parties, kids playing loudly, dogs etc which is great, no problem, but the chickens every day is getting to me. Last thing we want is awkwardness, we don’t really know these neighbours, just don’t know what to do as I guess they can’t really silence chickens 😟

On 8/22/2021 at 11:32 AM, Garden said:

Our neighbours have chickens and they are very noisy every morning for hours. We live in a quiet area and obviously you can hear parties, kids playing loudly, dogs etc which is great, no problem, but the chickens every day is getting to me. Last thing we want is awkwardness, we don’t really know these neighbours, just don’t know what to do as I guess they can’t really silence chickens 😟

You can ask them to keep the chickens cooped up for longer in the morning. If their coop is dark enough, this shouldn’t be an issue. Although I’ve had chickens who just started be very noisy in the coop.

For this reason I feed mine the goodies (mixed grain) in the morning, to keep them happy and quiet, which works most mornings, but not all. 

I appreciate it’s difficult if you don’t really know them and I’m guessing the last thing you want to do is to have an initial meeting that’s all antagonistic.

But you obviously need to talk to the, about it as they may have no idea that their chickens are making enough noise to annoy neighbours. 

If I were you I’d start by just asking if they think there’s anything they could do that would limit the noise to you, or the amount of time for which they make noise. 

They may be able to keep them in for longer in the morning as Cattails said, or perhaps move them further from you.

Good afternoon folks, 

I stumbled across your site while researching “noisy chickens”.

we live in a built up area and one of our neighbours keeps chickens that are consistently noisy, we tend to ignore it but it does get extremely tiresome after any prolonged bouts of multiple chickens going at full volume.

sitting relaxing in our garden is now a thing of rarely and has genuinely spoiled a once peaceful pleasure.

I know as chicken owners the mere mention of someone who opposes the views of the majority is not going to go down well however I thought I’d just let you know that although you think they’re ok not everyone should be forced to listen.

There are laws around loud music so why should chickens be different? 
If your spoiling someone else’s peace then unfortunately no mater how many times you say they are doing nothing wrong you are still spoiling their piece.

Dont blast me for opposite opinion, just understand there is a real concern and not something that should be ignored because why should you be bothered.

I have so much sympathy for those affected by the constant twittering and trilling of non native uk birds in cramped garden aviaries. 
My neighbours have built an a aviary 5 metres from the back of my house. The trilling of the canaries starts at dawn, currently 445 am and continues till dark. It’s a living hell. I can’t have my windows open or enjoy my garden anymore. 

my friends and family have commented on it too, and even my work colleagues have commented on it when I’ve been in teams meetings as I work from home. 
I’ve tried getting them to keep them quite, whilst recognising that might be difficult but have been ignored. 
If my neighbours complained about something I would try to sort it, however; as a reasonable person I would have already recognised that this was going to affect my neighbours before getting them in the first place ….. pretty obvious !