sandyhas3chucks Posted August 16, 2008 Share Posted August 16, 2008 Was wondering...but don't want to count my....... And all that!!!!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted August 16, 2008 Share Posted August 16, 2008 Am so glad you took her to the vet. Always best to get a professional opinion when things look dicey. Fingers crossed that she makes a good recovery. She sounds a plucky girl. Not sure what you mean by CAN 7 OFTEN, Sandy. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mrs Frugal Posted August 16, 2008 Share Posted August 16, 2008 Great news, Sandy. I'm so pleased you got her checked out. The Baytril will help her. I'm a big fan of Sudocrem too and have been since my boys were babies. Great stuff. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sandyhas3chucks Posted August 16, 2008 Share Posted August 16, 2008 Not sure what you mean by CAN 7 OFTEN, Sandy. CAN and often is. Tha antibiotic thing is a dificult one, it would seem that Bytril is the only one or is there another 1?re way of knowing if you have the rioght one is to test. most of the time it a rough educated guess, & many work better for respiratory infections & only one or 2 will work for a bone infectionie. nail bed infection in a dog. If at all possible I would opt for a "natural antibiotic" of which there are many, but chickens arte delicate as well as tough in some ways it would serem, & had she been mine I would have taken infection avoiding action. I ewas a stiil am most concerned about the leaking neck, but have taken on board the posting re fox attacked rooster, and am quietly optimistic. Moe is ok with her but keeping her quiet yet able to hear see the otrhers. She would like to preen bless her, but neck won't turn that way, wmust pull love her! Hope she doesn't turn into Attilla the hun when she is better though. She is terrified of everthing at the moment, but getting used to not being set on I think. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
pollenbird Posted August 17, 2008 Author Share Posted August 17, 2008 Dear Sandy, that's great news - hopefully the'hole' will heal quickly and she'll stop leaking! Sounds promising about her and Moe though...fingers crossed for a happy ending xx Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sandyhas3chucks Posted August 17, 2008 Share Posted August 17, 2008 This morning Moe in garden withother 2 . New Hen in bathroom with hall kitchen & carport, when Moe did their gotta get to lay her egg shouting & squawking pacing thing, asking to get in bathroom(she had access to Eglu & has previosly been happy to lay ther or her small cat basket in run. any way into bathroom, NOT intoi HER bed but push past new hen s"Ooops, word censored!"ed all straw & scrathed paper out of nest box revealing Slate (used to weight it down) & laid her egg just as I got there the monkey turned straight round on it & was going to eat it!!!! & it was not thin or soft! perhaps she thought new hen might! Then pushed straight back out past her, so they are ok. Newy had a spat with top chook Meany throught the gate, & newby started it apparntly (OH on watch!) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sandyhas3chucks Posted August 18, 2008 Share Posted August 18, 2008 thanks, keeping her clean is a problem, have done it at night after last feed, but finding I am washing lots out, then when there is any minor flap more oozes out. Think I need to rethink, she is clearly feel9ing bettet & trying to re eat to food that leaks & leaking water seems to facinate her maybe worry as she stops drinking!!! I don't know how this is gouing to go, although I think only think that the wound is healing. Vet said keep clean with hibiscrub... but now she is preening it means shes kinda eating it. just a qick slurp in a was up bowl 1/4 full warm water. ofering food 1st thing & antibiotic hour and half later... ANY experience in this kind of thing please help, as never done this never done chickens till May! quite a worry. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
buffie Posted August 19, 2008 Share Posted August 19, 2008 You are obviously following all the good advice the vet gave you. How about posting in the clinic if you'd like some help. I can only add I give arnica 30c to help with healing and belladonna and sulphur 30c for any infection. Buffie x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sandyhas3chucks Posted August 19, 2008 Share Posted August 19, 2008 i think i did post in clinic. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...