Rona

Advice please - Swollen blue wattles

Merlot's wattles and chin (well the bit of her neck just under her beak) are blue and swollen. She is fine and as busy as usual, eating and drinking well and always first in the queue when I go past their run. I wondered if it might be a bee sting as a live but dizzy looking bumble bee was flying about.

I had a look in her mouth and can't see anything untoward although her wattles are quite warm but as I said she is as lively and perky as normal. Her comb and earflaps are normal.

I don't want to stress her out by taking her to the vets unless really necessary so thought I'd ask for an Omlet consulation first.

I've read the horrible post about blackhead on here but I don't think ( :pray: ) it can be that as she is so well in all other respects. Eating, pooing, laying, bossing as per normal.

I've taken a photo but haven't been able to get it to load so thought I'd just describe it for now.

sorry, no real ideas - but I'd be reassured by the fact that everything else seems normal. I don't know what a chicken would look like if a bee or wasp stung it, but I'm guessing that what you're describing would be a likely result.

Hope she continues to act normally, that's always my first check and if they're eating and looking perky, I don't worry so much.

thanks Olly. Well today she is still bouncing around as chipper as ever. I think her wattles might be a bit less swollen but the blue/purple colour has spread a bit, which still makes me think along the lines of it being a bruise as a result of being stung. I've got a friend coming to see me today, who used to keep chickens so I'll see what she thinks.