Jillus

Peritonitis I think?

Just got back from a few days away and have discovered that Daisy has peritonitis ( I think). She is all hunched up, has a huge bulging sac under her bottom and her wattles have turned blue. As I am away again tomorrow for a week am at a loss as to what to do. I washed her bottom as it was all gunged up but she is still passing watery stools and looking as miserable as anything. I have placed her in the nest box and think that she will not make it overnight. It is so very sad as she was a great character, I have had her for over two years now, one of my original pair.

Never thought that I would shed a tear over a chicken but it is all so sad.

Daisy is still with us but only just so we have decided that the kindest thing to do will be to have her put to sleep. She has not moved all night and is almost asleep, her wattles are now a dreadful grey blue colour and she looks so unhappy and in pain I imagine. If she dies before the vet gets here we know that she had a good happy life and died in her own bed, she was definately the Queen Bee for her time with us and gave us lots of laughs. Only Daisy could police three dishes of treats at a time! :cry:

oh really sorry. Persephone seems to have had the same thing, a bulging bard bum and no eggs.. the vt thought she was eggbound and said the kindest thing was to have her put to sleep - I was really sad and kept reviewing what i@d done and whether I could have done anything different but I don't think you can. Sorry for your loss.