half dozen Posted December 22, 2008 Share Posted December 22, 2008 We have just electrified our omlet netting yesterday! the chickens definately dont like touching it and have a little shock when they do! what I am worried about is I can touch the wire and although I can feel a slight shock it certainly does not hurt me or stop me touching it. Would this put a fox of? or does anyone think we have not done it correctly Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
livvyshens Posted December 23, 2008 Share Posted December 23, 2008 I had the same doubts over my netting as the hens definitely felt it but the dog brushed past without noticing. I bought a fence tester from Flytesofancy which you hang on to the fence and stick the end of it into the earth. It lights up when enough power is going through the fence (although somewhat dimly during daylight). The tester didn't light up so having checked the battery was charged and the energiser working I spent ages fiddling around with pond liner underneath the fence and the odd bamboo stick and tent peg to try to cure the sagging. Eventually it sprang into action. I have moved it several times without any trouble since so I don't know what the problem was. There is a trouble shooting page on electricfenceonline's web page, called electric fence fault finding, which might help. I do recommend the fence tester though for peace of mind. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted December 23, 2008 Share Posted December 23, 2008 Sounds not right to me - it should definitely give you a nasty shock. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickenanne Posted December 23, 2008 Share Posted December 23, 2008 I agree - I can only describe the sensation as someone pulling your joints apart. I know what I mean, at least! Is there anything touching the fence allowing it to short out, e.g. overlong grass or plants? Is it definitely fully charged? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
half dozen Posted December 23, 2008 Author Share Posted December 23, 2008 Hi had a play around and tightened the netting! its working!! thanks Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...