I'd be interested in a automatic opener too. We lost our 3 hens to a fox just before Christmas when I was later getting back than planned & rest of family were distracted by doing Christmassy things & so the girls weren't shut in at dusk. If I can't find a way of shutting the door at dusk I'll need to look for a different hen house, which seems such a shame as we're very happy with our eglus in every other respect.

Can't say I'm keen on leaving the door open, especially not in this weather !

As for them barging it open, I'm sure my ex batts would sit in there all day making a racket if I didn't actually go and open the door for them every morning.

I DO like the little sound they make as I shut the door in the evening though !

Only just got our chickens - 3 ex-batts. We've been shutting our door in the cold weather, but with a view to leaving it open when the weather heats up. However despite this the chickens have been pushing the door open everyone morning as by the time I get there to check their water etc they are up and out in the run. They do have a bad habit of clogging up the door mechanism with bark chippings though, so I think this might give them the advantage on opening it in the morning.

I wish Omlet made an auto opener too, I have one on my wooden house and it's fab. Can't have an Eglu or cube and leave the door open as the fox managed to break into the Eglu run a few months back. It's a shame, I really wanted a cube but the lack of possibility of auto opener was a deal breaker for me.

Cheers

Alex

I know what you mean, we have had the same chook left out on two occasions, she was new and not properly settled in. I always check they are all away but in over 2 years they almost always have been. Handy when I am back late, anyway. Yes the morning thing is fab for lie-ins!

Our gang also seem to delight in clogging up the "locking slot" of their door with bark - and you do need to be able to dislocate your shoulders in order to clear it.

That said I actually like putting them to bed, with a stroke, each evening, and I enjoy the clucks I get each morning as they hear me walk up the path to let them out for breakfast. Maybe I'm getting soft in my old age...

Our gang also seem to delight in clogging up the "locking slot" of their door with bark - and you do need to be able to dislocate your shoulders in order to clear it.

Mine do this and I use a thin bamboo cane through the run mesh from above to flick it out