Cate in NZ

You know they trust you when.....

My chickens have been getting so cocky and confident that they've had me torn between frustration, bafflement and laughing my socks off at them, and I'm sure you've all got stories to tell as well, so I thought it might be a suitable topic for a new thread :)

But ever since we've had her, almost 3 months now, Onion has cowered in the Eglu whenever I've got the lawn mower out (it is a noisy thing- and I'm not exactly the best lawn mower driver :oops: ), yesterday, she danced in front of it, and chased behind it, trying to eat any escaping clippings, driving me nuts as I've read all the impacted crop & grass clipping entries here, and I do not fancy washing out chickens crops thank you very much. It's just like the naughty little madam was teasing me :roll:

Then yesterday evening, hubby and I were eating our evening meal sitting in the garden, relaxing evening, glass of wine, conversation, children elsewhere, chickens at our feet, you get the picture :) Suddenly 2 chickens, Brie and Onion, almost in unison jumped onto the table and started grabbing at our food. Great beakfulls of salmon they took :shock: whilst Jeff and I just looked at them in stunned silence, before we burst out laughing and chased them away. It was as if they'd planned it, and executed it perfectly, I have to add. Outrageous birds :roll: . They might end up getting banged up in the Eglu come our meal time in future :wink:

:lol::lol::lol:

My funniest thing is when I'm bending over to fill up the drinker or the mash bowl and Clarry's nearby. Quick as a shot, she's up on top of the run and jumps onto my back while I'm bending over. She then proceeds to peck me as she climbs up onto my shoulders. I must look like a cross between Quasimodo and Long John Silver because I can't stand up straight with a silly ginger hen on my back :oops::roll::lol: !

They chase me when I fill up the bowl too. Once anne was so hungry, when i was carrying the peanut feeder at shoulder height she flew up and started attacking it!!! And i'm not short either (im 5ft 6).

And when I come into the garden its dead scary cos anne litteraly flies across to come and attack me!! :lol:

:D:D Yes, I know what you mean Kim. I always thought Chuckles charged at me because she loves me. When I told LSH he said "No, she's just trying to attack you" :shock:

Good idea for a topic, Kate A. Your post & Kate's made me laugh. We can't eat anything at all outside without shutting the mob behind netting first! :roll:

When we sit down to eat, even indoors in the kitchen, we are only 2m from the hen run and clearly visible to the raptors - this is what they are called at this time due to their behaviour. They stalk up and down the wire netting and fling themselves against it. If you didn't know they are really delightful girls you would be quite scared. They are of course waiting for the s"Ooops, word censored!"s at the end of the meal, and their behaviour does encourage me to always leave a bit for them. If not, I suspect they would start feasting on me!

Alpe's - your girls obviously wanted to lay you eggs that are rich in omega 3's, so went to all the bother of jumping up and forcing themselves to tuck into your salmon, just to ensure you have healthy hearts :roll:

So there I was, sitting quietly with a friend having a drink in the late evening with hens clucking (noisily!) around our feet. Suddenly I have a lap full of hen! A few strokes and I put her down again. Up she comes!

Then the other day she did the same to another friend - thankfully she wasn't alarmed.

Is it love? Or is she a wine-buff?

Sara

Aren't they great - and good to see they all have their own personalities.

Yesterday, I was playing bat and ball with my friends little girl. The ball was bright yellow, and the girls must have thought it was a big piece of sweetcorn. We were doubled up with laughter watching them run after the ball as we batted it to each other!

Your so right Gina.

My boys play tennis in the garden and the girls have us in fits of laughter when they chase the green tennis ball :lol: We say that they think it's a large grape!

My youngest boy throws the ball and says "fetch" and the girls run like mad.

I think he's found a new party trick :roll:

:D:D:D What great exercise! However, mine now disappear if Esther persuades someone to play ball with her. They remember her eldest brother showing off too many skills for the size of garden or age of sister. :twisted: Age 22, not used to sharing garden with mob of chickens :wink: