cavysqueak

Using sawdust

We (my husband & I) had read and had recommended to us the use of sawdust in the tray of the eglu to help make cleaning easier and to make things a bit more pleasant for the chickens.

My first purpose of this topic is to first ask what people think / what they use in their tray (if anything). Especially as I have also heard that sawdust can cause respiritory problems in chickens. We are using the same pet grade sawdust that we use for our guinea pigs. I this the right sort?

Also has anyone head of / seen their chickens eating the sawdust from the tray / from in between the bars? We've had our three girls for a week now & after we braved the cold & ice-snowy ground to clean them out we realised that the two PP were eating the sawdust, so we had to take it out & put newspaper in instead. Is this a common occurnce? Are they OK eatng a bit of sawdust? We watched them for a while, but they showed no sign of stopping because it tasted bad!

Our GNR showed interest at what the others were eating& then stopped after one beakful!

Thank you in advance for any ideas / opinions.

I use Aubiose in my Eglu tray in a layer about quarter of an inch thick, I don't bother putting paper underneath, Aubiose is excellent stuff

I stopped using Aubiose for a while as one of my chickens had a cold and it seemed to be agitating it so I switched to dust extracted shavings which were also good.

I'm not sure that sawdust is a good diet for the chickens :shock::lol: - they are so daft aren't they? personally I would stop using it just in case!