jennybrom Posted February 9, 2009 Share Posted February 9, 2009 This may be a stupid question but a lot of you seem to know which hens have laid which eggs and I was just wondering how you knew! jen Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Snowy Posted February 9, 2009 Share Posted February 9, 2009 You have a day off work, wrap up warm and camp by the eglu all day, opening the egg port every time a hen goes in or comes out Most hens consistently lay eggs the same shape and colour so eventually you find out whose is whose. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bigmommasally Posted February 9, 2009 Share Posted February 9, 2009 My five all lay quite different looking eggs, so as each hen started laying it was quite easy to identify which hen had laid them. Even some of my friends can now look at the eggs I give them and say which hen laid them! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Milly Posted February 9, 2009 Share Posted February 9, 2009 The easiest way is to have different breeds which all lay different sizes/colours Milly Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cooks Posted February 9, 2009 Share Posted February 9, 2009 Mine lay totally different colours, off white/cream and brown, the new ones will be a surprise when they lay, I am hoping for but will settle for off one I bet I dont get either now I;ve said that and then the blubelle will lay whatever she likes but Ive heard they can have a plumish tinge to them, so that would be a lovely mix Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jennybrom Posted February 12, 2009 Author Share Posted February 12, 2009 thanks for replies, sitting and watching for the day sounds good, although we haven't got them yet and OH already thinks I'm too obsessed! jen Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...