kerrie

advice on food for chickens

Hello,

I've been using pellets and they seem to be going down well-where do people buy their food from? The pellets I am using I got from Omlet when I ordered my eglu-do people still use Omlet or someone else?

Also, I read that chickens should be given wheat? I have only read it in one book (can't remember which one) and was wondering if it's included with the pellets or if it needs to be fed as well as?

Thank you

Pellets actually have all they need and should constitute the majority of their food. A handful of corn or other treats can be given sparingly - preferably towards the end of the day when they've eaten plenty of pellets. If they don't eat enough of their pellets you can end up with soft shelled eggs, which are quite dangerous for the chickens. Omlet supplies organic pellets, as do some feed suppliers. Alternatively, most suppliers stock non-organic pellets, which are about half the price. Mine can't tell the difference! I don't know which area you are in, but if you put it in a post, I'm sure someone near you will tell you about local stockists.

We have a farm shop that sells about 10 different types of chicken food. It's easier for me to drive up and collect it, as it's just 5 minutes away than ordering from Omlet.

But it depends if you have somewhere near you.

Pellets gives the chickens all they need to eat. Anything else is just a bonus, but be sure to feed any treats in the afternoon so it doesn't stop them from getting their pellets.