Julieann

New Chicken Owner

just spend as much time in your garden with them as you can!

make lots of 'normal' noise cos after a day or so they seem positively comforted by it and, whatever you do, DON'T fall into the trap of giving all different foods to try or you'll never persuade them to eat their pellets!

(a small treat at bedtime just to make them feel loved tho should be fine)

do let us know when you name them eh? :D

Hi there,

Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself as a new Eglu owner as of about an hour ago! I have 3 new chickens (

Hi, I'm only a month ahead of you. Kept mine in for five days when first got them now they free range when I'm home and sulk when they can't!!

I feed mine treats when they go into the run to encourage them to get in when I need them to - other than that keep it simple or you'll pay the price when it comes to cleaning up poo :x

They all have their own individual personalities and getting braver with each day - found one in the kitchen yesterday

They have trashed my more delicate plants - but u cant have it all

Best of luck and ejoy :D

Sue

...Thanks for your advice as I was thinking of giving them all types of food as well as their pellets. Can chickens overeat? They have gobbled up the wholemeal toast I gave them but they can think of that as a moving in present :)

I'll name them soon, waiting for the boyfriend to get home first. They've coped well with the kittens and puppy mooching around the run, they don't seem too afraid!

Not looking forward to more poos but hey ho, the cats are almost out of the litter tray and puppy poos must be worse!

...Thanks for your advice as I was thinking of giving them all types of food as well as their pellets. Can chickens overeat?

Initially they get all they need from their mash/pellets think its us who want to spoil them - followed others advise to keep it simple and occassional treats at night

As for overeating jordan never stops - in fact she made herself sick the other day and before I got there proceeded to rea eat it --- yeuch :oops:

Dead funny to see my hurtle themselves for chopped up grapes - the cartoon image of a rubber chicken has nothing on my girls 8)

Enjoy

Sue

Welcome Jules!

We've had our girls for 3 months now. Made the BIG mistake of feeding them all sorts of different food (otherwise known as treats to the old hands at this game) when we first got them. We did mashed potato, spaghetti, baked beans, toast, sweetcorn, strawberries, custard creams - the list was pretty extensive. They decided they preferred these and stopped eating pellets altogether. :oops:

They also stopped laying eggs - I guess they're not called "layers" pellets for nothing. We eventually got them to eat layers mash - they loved it and egg production started soon after.

We still give them the treats, but in moderation, and usually to get them to go into their run in the evening. Sweetcorn is their absolute favourite - they race around when they see it and get very excited.

Have lots of fun with your girls - we love ours despite the wrecked garden. :roll:

Hi everyone. I have just got two new additions to our family. THe girls are doing fine but I was surprised at the amont of poo they produce. Is this normal and what is the best way oof cleaning it up? Thanks

I'm a total novice, having had my chooks all of 24 hours, but mine are also pooing for England! I've found if you're keeping your chickens on auboise/chips you can easily rake it out of the run (if youre brave enough to stick your head in that is), otherwise it seems to get mashed into the grass :?

Yup, I too was amazed how much poo was produced :shock::D . But either they settle down a bit after being moved, or you stop noticing it so much and just deal with it! I move the run every few days and rake over the grass that's been scratched up. In a few weeks I'll put them on bark chippings for the winter as the grass just turns into a quagmire.

Best wishes

Thanks for the replys. The girls are becoming quite tame now and the speckledy seems to love a fuss, probably because we have been feeding them sweetcorn. I checked the eggport in anticipation this morning but no, only more poo !! I guess I was just surprised how much they produce. I hear its good for the garden though so evey cloud has a silver lining. :)

more talk about poop

I swear we are obsessed :lol:

chicken poop is good for the garden, but better if you can compost it down first as it is quite strong and, I think, not good to put straight onto flower beds. We have three compost bins on the go with a mixture of poop, the shredded paper from the nesting boxes, veggie / fruit peelings, grass and so on. The resulting compost is fab!

Yup, I too was amazed how much poo was produced :shock::D . But either they settle down a bit after being moved, or you stop noticing it so much and just deal with it! I

Mmmm mine usually wait till I have finnished doing the rounds with my dustpan and kids spade and duly deliver a few more pressies --- not so effective for those runny ones ...........yeuch they are armed and dealy when disturbed.

Compost mine too , it has reakky speedened up the decomposing now I have used poo - it has some benefits - honestt :shock:

I no longer walk round th garden bare footed

Sue

When our girls had the full free range of the garden you did have to be careful where you trod.

An old school friend of mine came to visit with her husband and two children.

(& Paul) thought it would be amusing to tell the then 6 year old boy to be careful where he trod as chicken poop exploded.

It took him about 30 mins to pluck up the courage to step onto the grass

At which point (& Paul) shouted "booooom" :roll::roll:

ok

if it is warm, they may just be having a rest.

If you have fairly recently got them they are still getting used to their new surroundings and like other animals and humans, will seek shelter from things that might seem a bit scarey

When you say "cough" does it sound like that or a sneeze? If its like sneezing then nothing to worry about as lots of chickens get colds and you can treat them with citracidel, or cider vinegar or poultry spice to get them onto top form. Addtionally some chooks sneeze because of dust etc.

The only problem would be if they were getting blocked noses as that might mean their respiratory system has been affected