Budgies

which plant?

We've had the call from the vet to pick up the girls' ashes (gulp!)

I'd like to plant something evergreen and shrubby next to the composter because that's where they were happiest and I'd like to block the view of the plastic composter from the house a bit too!

Any ideas?

I want something chickens won't really eat, and that won't kill them if they do decide to have a nibble, and that they can shelter under.

Sorry to hear about your girls.

My girls always seem to avoid lavender and rosemary. Both are fairly woody and smell lovely so if you get any iffy whiffs from your composter when you walk past them they'll release a lovely scent, also deters flies a bit too. As they get more established there's plenty of room underneath for chooks to shelter.

I've got the following, which don't get eaten:

choisya (mentioned above)

cotoneaster

viburnum

mahonia

privet

solanum (Chilean potato vine)

Euonymus

All of these were well-established before I got the girls, and they definitely don't show any interest in them. The choisya is good because it has nice flowers on and will grow quite bushy so it should obscure the composter quite well. If you get the yellow-leaved one (Sundance?) it will light up a dark area.

Choisya (Mexican Orange Blossom) is another thought if lavender or rosemary won't grow on your soil. Mine has lovely sweet smelling white flowers. Basically, mine avoid anything with tough leaves.

I love mexican orange blossom - must get one for our new garden!

Our girls scoff my rosemary, don't touch the rhodedendron though, or jasmine :D