Colin and Sian

Evil chicken?

Hope you can halp with this one because we've run out of ideas.

We got two new chickens last Tuesday after one of our original ones died. As soon as we put them in the run one of the new ones started pecking at Durple - the original one. We thought it would stop after a while but it's been nearly a week and it's carrying on just as much. The other new one is fine and gets on with Durple really well but the other is really viscious!!!

We ended up letting Durple out each day when we were at work last week just to give her a break but don't want to carry on doing this because of the warnings about foxes.

We've just spent the whole morning sat by the run squirting Spindle with a water pistol whenever it pecked Durple but it isn't working and Durple isn't getting much food. We've just let Durple and Golgi out together and have kept Spindle in the run. But what do we do tomorrow when we're back at work? I'm not sure now that this is just about establishing the pecking order or fights over food - Spindle actually goes out of her way to peck Durple.

Has anyone else got an evil chicken :evil: and what do you do about it?

Sian

We introduced a new girl to our two existing girls just over 2 weeks ago. I was suprised at how evil our Gingernut became :evil: . She went out of her way to peck and jump on the back of Elle who was too afraid to come out of the eglu and into the run. At one point she had blood round her nose and peck marks over her face. I had to keep them in the run whilst I was at work though I only work 3 days a week so at least it was not every day. I bought a pec a bloc which they have only just discovered and some bumper bits just in case, but hey presto, after about 8 days, it all died down and now they get on really well. Elle will now come out with the others and will eat with the others without any bother from Ginge though she doesn't tend to forage with the others. The stickies on this forum helped a lot but in the end, I just had to bite the bullet and leave them to it to see if it would settle - it did. Good Luck with your new girls - they do eventually have to establish a pecking order - just make sure Durple has access to food and water away from the others and they will sort it out eventually.

Thanks for the advice. I read the sticky on this topic earlier and it sounds that we'll just have to do what you did - bite the bullet and keep fingers crossed! :anxious:

I have to say this chicken keeping lark has been the most stressful 5 weeks ever!!!! Our habits have totally changed - no more lie ins at the weekend - must get up to let the chickens out, we look out the window about every ten seconds and panic if we can't see them straight away and talk about them almost non stop. I'm sure my blood pressures gone up! This is even sacrier than a class of year 10s!!

Loving every moment of it though (apart from finding Purple dead - that was awful). It does make me wonder how the hell anyone copes with having children - surely it's like this, times ten and for eighteen years!

Sian

i did have 3 chickens. 1 miss pepperpot(jenny) and 2 gingernuts(henny, penny). At first it was allright. and then penny started on jenny. that went on for a while and then henny started as well. i was really surprised because when we first got them, penny was really shy.

they would stop jenny feeding on pellets and move in on the digging spot. even steal her worms. i felt so sorry for her. :cry: poor chicken.

i thought that it might of been the 2 gingers sticking together and was planing to get another miss pepperpot, but the fox got to them sadly :cry: .

so i was never able to find out. next time im getting 2 of each.

When I first got Hunney and Darling, Darling decided to gang up with the established chickens and pecked most of Hunneys back feathers out.

We used 'hose therapy'.

You stand near the run, armed with the hose, and every time the evil chicken even looks at her prey, you give her a quick scoosh with the hose. Took about an hour for Darling to take the hint, and we've had no hassle since.

It took just over four weeks for June and Audrey to stop pecking at Mini & Emmy. At one point I was so worried about them that I had to keep two in the run and two loose in the garden (swapping them over half way thru the day) I couldn't leave home for more than an hour...I'd leave Mini and Emmy in the run and J&A locked in the kitchen! And run round Sainsburys to do a quick shop :roll:

Thank goodness they sorted it all out and they are all living in harmony now. Audrey still has the odd little nip at Emmy, but Emmy seems to take it all in her stride and it can't be bothering her as she's laying an egg every day :)